Whining Noise-Diff, Wheel Bearing? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 08:11   #1 (permalink)

Whining Noise-Diff, Wheel Bearing?

Hi All,
my AU2 (beam axle) has developed a whine noise at 65000k's. Hard to detect from where but driving me nuts even with radio turned up. It mainly occurs at 40-70 k's have put it in third, neutral, still there. Jacked it up from the diff and ran it to 80 k's freewheeling and can't here it maybe it is a wheel bearing or just needs load up on back wheels before it is evident. Someone suggested the 16 inch tyres (Goodyear NCT5) could be the culprit, Maybe I should swap them with a known quiet car to possibly eliminate this scenario - any suggestions or similar experiences would be appreciated.
FAIRMONTAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2005, 20:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: Whining Noise-Diff, Wheel Bearing?

Once you are sure its not the tyres, drive it at 60kph and swerve from side to side fairly violently. If the noise changes its probably rear wheel bearings. If the noise is louder when turning left, its the rhs, and vice versa. If the noise stays the same during turning I would suspect its diff carrier bearings. Had a few of these fail in this model.
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 22:25   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, thanks smally351, tried the swerve amounst the testing and yes it is louder swerving right and almost disappears swerving left. Thing is for me it is hard to tell if it is a front or rear bearing if thats the case. Had both front wheels off and there is no stiffness in the hubs and they rotate freely mmmm probably is the rear.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:01   #4 (permalink)

Front hubs are sealed and you cant pull em apart to check the bearings, whereas the rear ones are simple to rip out and check. The other way to do it is find a workshop with an old on car wheel balancer and spin up the front wheels one at a time and listen for the noise.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:11   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, very good idea smally351, will sus out the on car wheel balancer.

My brother thinks i am too fussy with cars and to just get over it. The slight whine is like chinese water toture i reckon.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:40   #6 (permalink)

I solved the problem. Tyres. As suggested they were the problem. Inside edge was scalloped and causing the noise. Goodyear NCT5's. Only 50% worn however the tyre guy at Total Tyres replaced them and good as gold! I dont know how they became scalloped as the car has a beam axle with no adjustment. The front has had an alignment and whether this had anything to do with it, I dont know.

I read another thread where the guy had a BA back to Ford several times they ended up re building his diff only to find out it was also the tyres!
Old 07-16-2005, 02:47   #7 (permalink)

It pays to check the easy things first, hey?
Old 07-16-2005, 02:50   #8 (permalink)

Yes, you are right all the way smally351, your opening comment said, "once you have checked the tyres....." say no more. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline