Who has programmed their automatic transmission for power? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2002, 03:08   #1 (permalink)
XR8 Mad

Who has programmed their automatic transmission for power?

Just wondering...again...

You knew, of course, that the automatic transmission can be programmed separately for power or economy rather than the standard Adaptive Shift?

It makes a difference in fuel economy. I am not sure by how much but I think the Power setting is more fuel efficient than keeping it in Adaptive Shift. I get at least 500kms around the city and easily 600km plus on the open road. And that's with the odd fast takeoff and overtaking manoeuvres.

If you aren't aware of how to change the programming of your automatic transmission, check out the handbok on the transmission.....its not that straight forward.

cheers

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2002, 03:25   #2 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

We have ours in Performance all the time... it's a performance car right?!?!

We also change up and down a lot too - the note is glorious decelerating from 100 in 2nd...
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 03:32   #3 (permalink)
Repo

Ok i would like to know how to change adaptive shift , in my manual mine reads as followed.

Adaptive shift

The adaptive shift strategy is controlled by the engine management system which continuously monitors the drivers accelerator inputs to determine the driving style used.It then modifies the gearshift feel and speed to suit the current driving style.

The adaptive shift strategy is programmed to provide optimum vehicle performance. An aggressive driving style will yeild high performance transmission shift patterns and firm feel .
Easy driving will result in economy shift patterns and softened shifts.
Old 06-08-2002, 03:42   #4 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

I do believe you are reading the wrong thing.
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 03:44   #5 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

Mine is programmed for performance :btonge:

Well, as close to performance as a stock 4L60E can be - I have the HSV calibration in mine which makes it work much better than the stock confused unit.

Power mode is much better, hard shifts,. 5900rpm at WOT all gears.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 03:51   #6 (permalink)
Repo

so not all models can change the mode ?
Old 06-08-2002, 04:37   #7 (permalink)
SM

Only the AUII onwards manual has the procedure for changing the mode. AUI has adaptive shift.
Old 06-08-2002, 04:40   #8 (permalink)
Repo

aww bugger lol
Old 06-08-2002, 06:22   #9 (permalink)
1 bad 302

Could be worse. My EF has a power switch that does very little.
Be OK if it kicked in an extra 50 KW. Hehehehe
dragonV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 08:04   #10 (permalink)
ESP Man

Yes, I have done the programming thing with my AUII XR8 auto and you can easily tell the difference btween sport mode and economy mode.
In sport mode it definately holds in the gears longer on the upshifts but the biggest difference is that it will change down to a lower gear sooner as you are slowing so that you are already in the gear most appropriate to accelerate away from that speed. It is sometimes a bit savage on the change down to 1st as you are slowing.
For those who don't know the procedure, it involves foot on brake with ignition off and then selecting 1 or 2 or 3 (according to whether you want sport or economy or adaptive shift) and then turning on key until light flashes 3 times on dash to confirm change and then select park (or something like that, anyway read the handbook!) and it REALLY works.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline