Wierd gearing on TE50 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2002, 22:45   #1 (permalink)

Wierd gearing on TE50

Well my new TE50 is run in and man the torque is nice. Gearing is a bit wierd though as 4th is good for only 190kph at redline whereas 5th is geared for 300!kph at redline. Hence it is unlikley to get anywhere near peak power at top speed.Had my old 2001 TE50(220kw) off the 240KPH clock at about 245 without even trying hard once so be interested to see what the new one does.

Is this the same box as in the Bara v8s.It has a horrible (thrust bearing?) knocking at idle with the clutch in as did the demo i test drove.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2002, 01:02   #2 (permalink)

yeh i have the same problem in my XF. Can only hit 180 in fourth, but boy in fifth i get about 280-290!
Old 09-14-2002, 01:13   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Yes it is the same box that the Boss 260 will get and this knock is a known charateristic of it.

Roll on some decent gearboxes.
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 01:19   #4 (permalink)

Re: Wierd gearing on TE50

Quote:
Originally posted by julian
Well my new TE50 is run in and man the torque is nice. Gearing is a bit wierd though as 4th is good for only 190kph at redline whereas 5th is geared for 300!kph at redline. Hence it is unlikley to get anywhere near peak power at top speed.Had my old 2001 TE50(220kw) off the 240KPH clock at about 245 without even trying hard once so be interested to see what the new one does.

Is this the same box as in the Bara v8s.It has a horrible (thrust bearing?) knocking at idle with the clutch in as did the demo i test drove.
Yeah julian - it is a six speed box but they lost fifth gear somewhere and didn't put it in. Shitty isn't it? I hate the way you fall in a heap as soon as you drop it in fifth. And it IS the same box and I believe same ratios in the new V8s so it is going to be the only let down in the BA GT that I can see.

I thought mine had a thrust noise too when I took delivery of the vehicle - so did my servicing dealer who replaced it, but the noise stayed. Tickfords (they were then) said it's the clutch - so that was replaced too with a new "improved" version, which I waited over four months to get. Noise still there - it is a gear roll-over noise and I believe it is caused by having incorrect type of oil in the box - it is not the oil Tremec normally recommend I've been told. Anyhow, the whole gearbox has now been replaced but guess what? Noise is same in the new one. So we are having serious discussions with Ford over next step - car has done 15000 km and I reckon at this rate I will probably use up to another 6 gearboxes before warranty runs out.

The car I test drove didn't have the noise but apparently a lot do.

Good luck mate - just keep complaining long and hard!
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 01:24   #5 (permalink)
plonky

On the auto it should do about 195 in third but fourth will go to around 245kmh. Unfortunately the way the car is geared for acceleration it seems to run out of breath up top and just won't push towards what the car is geared for in top.
On the auto it comes down to tail shaft revolutions that dictate when a particular gear can be selected.
The SS is much better off in that even though the final drive is taller, it will hold about 235 in third gear (auto) and go a bit harder in top.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:28   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by plonky
On the auto it should do about 195 in third but fourth will go to around 245kmh. Unfortunately the way the car is geared for acceleration it seems to run out of breath up top and just won't push towards what the car is geared for in top.
On the auto it comes down to tail shaft revolutions that dictate when a particular gear can be selected.
The SS is much better off in that even though the final drive is taller, it will hold about 235 in third gear (auto) and go a bit harder in top.
With respect ... Who cares???? This has nothing to do with the matter of which we speak.
Old 09-14-2002, 13:09   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys. According to rusellw maybe we should just live with it. T3man what car do you have?The noise goes away when you depress the clutch in neutral doesnt it? Also goes your box whine badly in first and second till you get above about 40-50kph?

ps some shithead just put a key scratch 5 inches long on my rear door onto the rear quarter panel
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 15:19   #8 (permalink)
plonky

T3 man, I was under the misunderstanding that the thread was about weird gearing for the Falcon. Now I would take this as both auto and manual, as they are both strangely geared.
I believe a forum is for all registered people to make a constructive comment - obviously this is not the case and is operated under the 'old chums act'.
My apologies again for not distinguishing between manual and auto!
Old 09-14-2002, 16:38   #9 (permalink)

julian> Mine's a TE50 as well. Yes, it goes away when clutch pedal is depressed. No it is OK in first. My main concern is backlash from within the box which is really clunky in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. I could live with the gear rollover noise if it wasn't as bad as it is - some are worse than others in this respect and mine is a crook one.

plonky> 's OK mate - I was a bit hasty there as I knew exactly what julian was on about in specific terms while you probably did not. I certainly wasn't invoking the "old chums act" against you though.

However, on the auto, I don't really think the gearing is all that bad although the diff ratios are just a tad high (ie high speed/low numerical value). The T5 manual also has good gear ratio selection - although the ratios do vary between models they seem to suit the application OK.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:49   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

my car has the bearing noise at neutral+clutch out, i think the input shaft bearing is stuffed, (T5 gearbox) i used to have a different EB (hence: RIP 036BOA) and it made no noise except for a slight whine under hard acceleration.

i think the T5 has pretty good ratios, especially when combined with the 3:45 diff in the XRs, they are well spaced.

i havent driven a late model manual falcon but the VT-X commo 6 speed is atrocious, 6th is geared for about 450km/h at redline...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline