is it worth selling my auto for manual?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2002, 22:55   #1 (permalink)
Sideways_EF

confused is it worth converting EF auto to manual?

I've got a 96 falcon GLI auto and i just went for a drive in a friends 96 futura manual and it hammers along compared to my taxi.

and he's selling it too, so do you's think its worth sellin the gli and getting the futura?
or should pay this overeast company $2500 for a conversion kit to make it manual, but then then i still don't got the futura features that i would love.

both cars are 4L too.

please can somone give me their opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2002, 01:06   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

get the manual unless you do bulk peak hour driving or have a medical need a manual is 1ox more fun ..my opinion.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 01:32   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I agree, get the manual. I have only ever had one auto and that got converted after 3 months.

The Futura has the ABS standard, the trim's a lot nicer than a GLi too.

Cheers

Paul B
Manual XR6WGN
xr6wgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 02:06   #4 (permalink)
Saving for a BA XR6t

hey Sideways_EF...

does that 2500 include installation??

thanks alot
Old 02-08-2002, 02:07   #5 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Go the manual, more fun and more options.

I went through a lazy period with my last car and bought an auto AU S (the second auto I ever owned). I bought the XR6 in manual and have so much driving it, I wonder why I ever considered the auto in the first place.
Old 02-08-2002, 03:20   #6 (permalink)
Sideways_EF

Quote:
Originally posted by SIM EF6

does that 2500 include installation??

thanks alot
Hey SIM EF6

from what i remember the kit included a pedalbox, clutch and stuff, some bits a peices and a reconditioned T5.

installation included i think
Old 02-09-2002, 02:40   #7 (permalink)
Sideways_EF

so no one here agree's that an auto is better than manual??
Old 02-09-2002, 02:55   #8 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Go for the Manual!
Old 02-09-2002, 23:06   #9 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Sideways EF,

Go the manual over the auto if performance driving and enjoyable driving is what your aiming for. But if you do km's of city stops and start an auto is viable.

I personally tend to go for a factory manual over a conversion, the thing about a conversion is teh donor gearbox you get is in question ie don't know how many km's it's doen etc etc.

Also with your case the Futura is got better goodies so your killin two birds with the one stone with your purchase. But be weiry of one thing make sure the manual tranny shifts like it suppose to and syncro's are ok.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 00:49   #10 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Sideways_EF

I've had both and on the whole I prefer the manual. One big caveat is if you do heaps of stop start driving. Its a mega pain to have to clutch in clutch out for a 2 metre move when you're in heavy traffic. Do that enough and you'll be walking in circles due to an over-developed left leg, hehe.

Re the Futura purchase, do you plan to significantly improve the power of the car down the road? If so expect to upgrade the gearbox in it as the T5 in sixpacks is not as strong as the V8 version. That said even the V8 T5 has its limits and swapping a T5 for a beefier Tremec box will be simpler than the auto to manual swap.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline