XD/XE factory setup to allow hydraulic clutch - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 18:55   #1 (permalink)
XD V8 Owner

XD/XE factory setup to allow hydraulic clutch

Here's a questions for you XD/XE/XF guys and gals.

I recently discovered in fitting my XE up with a hydraulic clutch that the XD/XE models have a factory setup being a hole in the firewall covered by a plate with two bolts to allow a hydraulic cylinder to be bolted up, it being located beside the brake booster.

Also my understanding is that ALL manuals left the factory with a cable clutch, and thus there would seem to be no need for the this factory setup.

Also the XF firewall does not have this factory setup, you need to make a hole and drill bolt holes yourself!

I have a theory that (holding true that all manuals had cable clutches) this factory setup was to allow the touring cars to have a hydraulic setup with no firewall mods and because the XF was not raced due to the absence of a v8 this factory setup was therefore not needed and discontinued.

Give us your thoughts.
Cheers.

Pics here: http://www.fordgallery.com/showgalle...00/ppuser/7796

Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2003, 19:34   #2 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

from memory it was all 6 cylinders that had a cable clutch setup, and all V8's had a hydraulic clutch setup
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 21:27   #3 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Yep thats what it was DK.

V8's had a hydraulic clutch cause they had a larger/heavier clutch and it would kill your leg after a while with cable.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 22:23   #4 (permalink)

as said above only the 6s ran the cable
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 23:22   #5 (permalink)
XD V8 Owner

well if thats the case, there goes my theory (as nice as it sounded).

your responses sounds logical, as a v8 clutch is considerably heavier than the six, a cable probably wouldnt last the distance, and the absense of the v8 in the XF would thus explain its absense.

I didnt really go the hydraulic clutch due to the heavier clutch, more so because it was included in the conversion kit for the Supra 5 speed box i bought.

Good thing the kit came with a hydraulic clutch, because i bought a F100 clutch to go in the box, and with a cable my leg would definitely be paining.

Thanks for the feedback. Cheers

Pics here: http://www.fordgallery.com/showgalle...00/ppuser/7796

Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 20:13   #6 (permalink)

It is near impossible to fit cable clutch to an XD/E V8 as the extractors leave no room. On XFs the clutch fork operates from the passenger side away from exhaust heat,unlike earlier 6 cyl falcons and cortinas which were on the drivers side.

AU Forte, EL GT Intake Snorkel and EF Airbox with more mods to come
Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 21:46   #7 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Re: XD/XE factory setup to allow hydraulic clutch

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford Grunt
I have a theory that (holding true that all manuals had cable clutches) this factory setup was to allow the touring cars to have a hydraulic setup with no firewall mods and because the XF was not raced due to the absence of a v8 this factory setup was therefore not needed and discontinued.

Your question has alread been answered, but bear i nmind, Ford had nothing al all to do with any sort of motore racing with the XD-XF, they didn't even holmolgate the body kits for racing, it was done by Murray Carter!!

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 00:21   #8 (permalink)

Re: Re: XD/XE factory setup to allow hydraulic clutch

Quote:
Originally posted by Kieron
Your question has alread been answered, but bear i nmind, Ford had nothing al all to do with any sort of motore racing with the XD-XF, they didn't even holmolgate the body kits for racing, it was done by Murray Carter!!

Kieron
Well almost correct, Murray Carter shared his workshop with a guy by the name of Bob McWilliam, he had a company called Phase Autos and he built the Phase 5 XD Falcon. The phase 5 was to be the basis for the XD racing car with the front spoiler and flares but the rear spoiler (and BMW style) roof spoiler was not allowed so they had to run the "blade" motorcraft one.

But yes it was Murray who was one of the first to run the kit.

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 02-27-2003, 00:31   #9 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

A guy called Wayne Simon actually penned the Group C kit, I think he made a small wind tunnel model of it too back in 78.

Gary Willmington was the first to race an XD - silver sponsorless car, followed closely by Carter, but it was Carter (actually with Wayne Simon) who presented the car to Cams for homolgation.
Carter in fact homolgated the car using the weight of a 6 pot XD too!

I suspect Phase autos used the original Simon design with the Phase IV, which from a vauge memory had something to do with Bob Morris?

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 17:49   #10 (permalink)

On the XF's you have to drill out the firewall to put the hydraulic clutch in (cutout is marked on the cab side of the firewall (have done it before, when going from auto to manual in a V8 XF). However the firewall needs to be strengthed, bends like a bitch otherwise :(
DaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline