XF Auto->Manual Conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 17:50   #1 (permalink)

XF Auto->Manual Conversion

Where are all the people that have mentioned they have done an XF Auto to Manual conversion? I have read almost every post in this forum and it's all about EA/EB's. I must say though - great information!

My Question - Wiring.

I have all the parts and mechanical side of the conversion, and started last night. Got the old 3sp auto out and changed over the flywheel. Will continue tonight with clutch and maybe pedal box (not looking foward to the pedal box conversion).

After looking at the T5, I have noticed the wiring is completely different. The wiring and connector for the speedo drive are the same. However, the auto had a green connector plug that does not match anything on the T5, nor can I find it in the gregory's. The T5 has the speedo drive which is fine, and then a reverse lamp switch and a neutral drive switch, each with two blade connectors.

Does anyone know what connects to these? What changes have to be made to the wiring? Do i have to do any of the EA/EB tricks mentioned to get the auto computer working with the manual box?

Thanks
flacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 18:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: XF Auto->Manual Conversion

Okay, just found the connector in the gregorys. It's called the Neutral Safety Switch. It also has the Reverse Lamp Switch wiring in the same loom. This should really help with the wiring.

Question - Is the Neutral safety switch on the Auto the same thing as the Neutral Drive Switch on the Manual box?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:38   #3 (permalink)

Yes it it is. but you can delete it

you will know if you have it wrong, as the car will not crank.

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 20:18   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Jas.

How about the switches on the pedal box. Are they necessary?

The auto pedal box had two switches on the brake arm (brake lights and cruise deactivate?).

The Manual pedal box only has one switch on the brake arm (not two like the auto), and the clutch arm has none. I recall someone here saying that there should be one on the clutch arm? I think the gregorys shows wiring for such a switch. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:56   #5 (permalink)

don't have my XF book here, but i would agree that the 2nd on the brake is for cruise deact.

you can delete it, if your deleting the cruise.

done some research.
The manual shows one on the clutch for a start safety system not used in Australia.....clutch in start. You do see cars come into the country with this system, but its not mandatory here.

Cheers
Jas
Old 01-22-2007, 19:26   #6 (permalink)

Thanks again Jas - you're the guru!

Finally, what about the wire that is a part of the auto wiring harness that goes to the inhibitor switch inside the auto box? Does it need to be shorted - or connected to something else, or just left alone?
Old 01-23-2007, 00:32   #7 (permalink)

IT forms part of a loop.
Try and find even an XD manual harness (box end only) it will have all the hard work done for you.

ITs a 4 pin plug. 2 for the reverse switch, 2 for the inhibitor.

Jas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline