Ford Forums banner

XF LSD for EF?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  WBT56 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I have the chance to buy a LSD disc to disc from a mate for $180. Would it be possible to take the centre out, take it to a place, maybe get it rebuilt, then get them to put it into my EF, preferably with my 3.23 gears as well?

If not, what is a good price for a LSD conversion fitted? I've been quoted around 700 for new LSD, my gears, oil, gasket & fitting. Is this good.

Thanks

#2 ·
Two things to check. If the LSD diff is 2.77 ratio, it is no good, as the hemisphere has a different offset. If the hemisphere is 25 spline 2 pin(very likely) it is no good, as your axles will be 28 spline.
As $700 is less than retail on a new LSD, it's either a great price or not a new one.

#3 ·
WBT56 said:
Two things to check. If the LSD diff is 2.77 ratio, it is no good, as the hemisphere has a different offset. If the hemisphere is 25 spline 2 pin(very likely) it is no good, as your axles will be 28 spline.
As $700 is less than retail on a new LSD, it's either a great price or not a new one.
So will any 28 spline LSD do? There's XD-XF LSDs going for ~$150 in the papers sometimes. Didn't they make 28 spline 9inchers?

I think for $700, what it'd be is a new LSD carrier bolted onto ur ring gear. I got that done for $750. BTR carrier retails for ~$550 from memory...

Btw, my LSD which I got last year is starting to act up, I don't reckon she'll see the end of this year. They got clutches in them, which do wear out so I'd look into getting a spool if u could live with it. I've been told that a spool centre is only $130 and they never wear out.

#4 ·
Cancerman said:
So will any 28 spline LSD do? There's XD-XF LSDs going for ~$150 in the papers sometimes. Didn't they make 28 spline 9inchers?

So long as they are 28spline/4pin/ratio 2.92 or higher, yes. You may have to drill out the bolt holes. Std 9" was 28spline, yes.

I think for $700, what it'd be is a new LSD carrier bolted onto ur ring gear. I got that done for $750. BTR carrier retails for ~$550 from memory...
Again, was this a 28 spline/4pin? Cheapest retail I have seen on these is $770, bare /complete.

Btw, my LSD which I got last year is starting to act up, I don't reckon she'll see the end of this year. They got clutches in them, which do wear out so I'd look into getting a spool if u could live with it. I've been told that a spool centre is only $130 and they never wear out.
They do not have clutches, they have friction cones. In normal driving/drags (no burnouts) you should get years of service, if they are built right.

#5 ·
I didn't think they make 2.77 LSD's for XF sedans.

Yes, the $700 was a genuine Ford 28 spline, 4 pinion LSD Centre, bolted to my crown wheel, inc. fitting.

Is there any way I can check that it's a 28 spline, without actually counting the splines, which would probably mean I have to take the axle out.

OK final question; Are these centres rebuildable, with heavier duty clutches & stuff?

#6 ·
Aaron_M said:
I didn't think they make 2.77 LSD's for XF sedans.

Probably the most common ratio for autos. I have only ever seen one XF LSD that wasn't 2.77.

s there any way I can check that it's a 28 spline, without actually counting the splines, which would probably mean I have to take the axle out.
A "high performance" tag, but anyone can bolt a tag on. I'd pull an axle.

OK final question; Are these centres rebuildable, with heavier duty clutches & stuff?
They DO NOT have clutches. They are rebuildable, and should give good service life afterwoods, if done correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.