XF Rear axle/diff drum or disc brakes question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 18:48   #1 (permalink)

XF Rear axle/diff drum or disc brakes question

I am going to put a 3:23:1 ratio diff on my XF in the next two weeks, mine is 4 wheel disk brakes, and what I was wondering, when I source a diff, can it be from a drum brake diff? are the master cylinders different on disc and drum brakes? e.g. will I have to use a disc brake diff or can I use a drum brake diff if I find one? I remember a post about it, and I think XD/XE/XF were the same, so you cna swap them around. I just want to keep it disc brakes at the back, too much mucking around switching.

Anyone done it before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
fOrD mAn Xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2004, 20:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: XF Rear axle/diff drum or disc brakes question

surely someone knows if they can be switched?
Old 12-17-2004, 20:13   #3 (permalink)
heard it before!

funny,i only came into this section of forum to post a new thread!

you've got almost no hope of finding a diff with 3.23 already in it.
leaf spring diffs obviosly wont fit a coil spring diff.XD leaf/XE&XF coil(in sedans) disc brake stuff won't bolt on to a drum brake diff i'm98%sure
about the only thing left is to hope someone has done what you want to do(as my brother did) and upgrade then to a 9" so they are selling the B/W

or for the best part of a grand you could see a diff bloke and choose any raio you want
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 21:51   #4 (permalink)

maste cylinder will be fine .these old units dont have residual pressure valves(to keep wheel cyl cups expanded).
ebv888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:55   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankdx
funny,i only came into this section of forum to post a new thread!

you've got almost no hope of finding a diff with 3.23 already in it.
leaf spring diffs obviosly wont fit a coil spring diff.XD leaf/XE&XF coil(in sedans) disc brake stuff won't bolt on to a drum brake diff i'm98%sure
about the only thing left is to hope someone has done what you want to do(as my brother did) and upgrade then to a 9" so they are selling the B/W

or for the best part of a grand you could see a diff bloke and choose any raio you want

3:23 diffs cam standard on all 3.3 litre falcons on XD/XE and XF's, as the 3.3litres lacked power so the 3:23 diff provided the "get up and go" that the 4.1 litres have. its just hard sourcing one, as I want to get one from a disc brake setup to match it with mine, all I need know is everything going to be the same if I use a drum brake diff?

and also 3:23 was optional with all falcons, a lot of manual xf's got 3:23's, but there wwas unfortunetly no 3:23 LSD on XF's.

so does anybody know if I can use a drum brake 3:23 diff for my disc diff setup?
Old 12-21-2004, 18:05   #6 (permalink)
ignorance is bliss

The master cylinders are identical so no problem there. The gears etc in a drum brake are the same but unless you know how to swap them properly you will need to take it to a shop to get it done. Have done these years ago just bolting them in and out and usually not too bad but would probably pay to get it done right. According to my Gregorys manual limited slip ratios were only 2.77 or 2.92 and single wheel were 3.23 or 3.5 (lowest ratio). Probably a ute would be a good start for gears.
clevokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 21:13   #7 (permalink)

I also saw the disc brakes have a breather tube on the diff?
Old 01-02-2005, 23:49   #8 (permalink)

surely someone here knows for sure if I can swap a drum brake diff 3.23 into a disc brake setup, surely??? PLEASE!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 03:37   #9 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fOrD mAn Xf
surely someone here knows for sure if I can swap a drum brake diff 3.23 into a disc brake setup, surely??? PLEASE!!!
thought you would have spoken to a diff joint by now, drum brake centre will fit into disc brake housing gear wise if thatys what you mean? i doubt you can bolt XF type discs to a drum type housing if thats what you are asking??
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline