xf tranny on xd body - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 22:19   #1 (permalink)

xf tranny on xd body

G'day FF: recently i've fitted an xf engine into my xd that im getting going again and i may of screwed myself over by removing the tranny...the front end of the car is on jack stands with the tranny just sitting underneath the car crying out to be re attatched to it's brother bell housing anyway...is there anyway of getting them back together again? once hats done i should be able to attatch the drive train and the rest with not much troubles...ANY suggestions would be much appreciated and i will post pix after im done because im sure your all sick of all the posts :D
StuntDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2004, 22:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: xf tranny on xd body

where is your torque converter?i am assuming that you have "6 bolted" it,meaning you have removed the trans from the bellhousing and left the converter on the flex plate.twit.to reinstall the trans you will have to take real good note of where the pump drive tangs are and carefully positioning the pump inner gear to match.its only a bw 35-40 so two dudes can lift it up and in.once its up one guy holds it steady and th other installs the bolts doing up evenly.dont break off the drive tangs.
ebv888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 22:30   #3 (permalink)
heard it before!

hmmm, sounds like you've done it the WRONG way. oh well not the first time i bet.
now if it was me(and its not) i would pull the motor and box out and assemble on the floor, bell housing to gearbox first, torque converter inside next(making sure to turn converter as you grt it on slines as its got a few things to spline up properly) and then bolt motor to bellhousing making sure that torque converter bolt holes are lined up with holes in fly wheel will make it easier than trying to find them later. then bolt up converter to flywheel and fit motor and trans as an assembly you will need to have removed fan to fit in this way and the motor should hang in a 45 degree angle to get gear box under the floor before you can lower engine.

see how you go, thats how i always do it not everybody will agree
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 22:43   #4 (permalink)

that will work too.even if you put the trans back in sep to eng leave the bellhousing onit and push the converter right in.then hang the trans off the eng dowels and spin the converter through the starter motor opening while doing up bellhousing bolts.once there tight line up the holes on the converter to the drive plate-put all 4 bolts in before tightening and do them up evenly-simple
Old 12-17-2004, 01:20   #5 (permalink)

well it took me a long time to fit the xf engine to the xd so i don't want to unbolt it if possible and would like to lift the tranny up to the bellhousing but with 2 feet clearance (the car is on jack stands) and no mate to help me as here away for xmas im still confuzed as a cat that grew up with dogs :/

also keep in mind ff that most of these terms are relatively new to me such as bellhousing and converter..ect.. another thing that you've got em worrying about..does the tranny have to go in a special way? like is there a certian place that interlocks with the bellhousing and has to connect if u get me... :S
StuntDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:17   #6 (permalink)
heard it before!

i really think if i were you i would buy a service manual for XD or XE/XF they are all similar and read up on what you want to do before you damage something. if you don't get the toque converter on the slines on the gearbox shaft spot on you can at a minimum damage seals and that means removing the trans again, thats if you didn't damage them on removal? ultamatley its only a falcon and you could replace it for a few hundred dollars anyway but my advise for the future is get as much info BEFORE YOU START no offence meant i promise.
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 21:36   #7 (permalink)

it really only can bolt up one way.the bolt holes will only line up if its in the correct position.an xd-e is a good car to develop your mechanical skills if you are new to it.it sounds like you might be.not to worry though a few mistakes are all part of the game and once youve got it all screwed back together you will be proud of yourself.do get a tech book for the car.it will make the small mistakes easier to avoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline