Ford Forums banner

XR6 and XR6T gearbox??

5K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  WBT56 
#1 ·
Hi, I have some for you guys questions:

1) Is the 5 speed in my BA XR6, the same as the 5 speed in the
BA XR6T??

2) A lot of people have mentioned the 5 speed in the turbo may not stand up to mods, and gave it a max torque rating (cant remember what this is). But im interested to know how does the auto go in the XR6T. All the reviews ive read say that the auto XR6T is a faster car than the manual, due to the auto keeping the car on boost. Also will the auto gearbox in the XR6T handle more power than the manual gearbox??? (as dont normally autos handle more power??). If so the auto XR6T looks tempting to me.

3) sorry off topic, but my last question is - do the alloys on the XRs come with lock nuts?? My XR6 has standard 17s, (and had no lock nuts), so i went and bought some for $30 from autobarn and put them on. But the other day i was reading my owners manual, and it says to look in the glovebox for the locknut key to remove your wheels when you have a flat tyre. WTF!! No key in my glovebox!!!

#4 ·
No lock nuts with mine either (XR6t ute w/17s). Not happy about that. I got lock nuts with the 17's on my AU.

From what I have read, could be wrong, the N/A XR6 gets the AU XR6 T5, and the Turbo gets the AU XR8 T5.

Also, I think the auto has a simmilar load rating to the T5. Remember they had to beef up the auto as well as the manual for the XR8's and GTs.

#6 ·
Either way , if you up the torque to more than 500Nm and dump the clutch too many times , it will turn to custard in no time at all .
Thats why the V8 has the tremec.
See David Flints post under Engines ( I6 )

#7 ·
I got 18's on my XR6T and did get lock nuts. I was under the impression that you were supposed to get lock nuts even with the 17's. If there's documentation that says you should have them, go to the dealer and ask where they are.

But before you potentially make a fool of yourself, double check that you don't have lock nuts. They don't stand out like a lot of lock nuts on other cars do, you have to look pretty closely to see that they are lock nuts.

#8 ·
Fordhead said:
Either way , if you up the torque to more than 500Nm and dump the clutch too many times , it will turn to custard in no time at all .
Thats why the V8 has the tremec.
See David Flints post under Engines ( I6 )
I had almost 600nm in my AU XR6 manual, and gave it a fairly hard time too. The box never even made any noise, let alone turn to custard.

Yes, the T5 is an old box, and yes, they have a lower load rating than other boxes, but IMO, the only reason the T5's should be replaced is the crap shift quality. If your blowing up gearboxes in an XR6t, then you need to learn how to drive, or get an auto.

#9 ·
I got the 18's and they came with factory locknuts - something that the insurance companies coomented on positively, as Holden refuse to supply them for their SS 18's, this being one of the reasons it get's a higher premium than the XR.

Cheers
Jason

#10 ·
I work in Pre-Delivery at a Ford dealership I can safely say that you will only receive locking nuts with 18" wheels. I have not read the owners manual, but I know that you can only get lock nuts on 17"s if you order them seperately through the dealership.

#12 ·
The T5 tranny in the turbo is actually a T5+.It is fitted with a heavier duty gearset manufactured from strengthened materials.They also have a different input shaft(changed from 10 spline to 23 spline)Also i dont think they will bolt up to anything except a BA 6cyl because they have a different clutch housing which incorporates the bearing retainer and concentric slave cylinder.Due to the change in the clutch housing,it is no longer possible to remove the transmission by undoing the case to clutch housing bolts.They bolt up together from the inside.

#16 ·
bossxr8 said:
The same Tremec gearbox was used on the T3 and Mustang Cobra
A version of it using different mainshaft, bellhousing, extension housing and fifth gear ratio was used in the T series. Torque rating was 488Nm. The current box has a rating of 528Nm, and is different again to that used in the Mustang.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.