xw diff/axle housing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2003, 20:50   #1 (permalink)

frown xw diff/axle housing

I'm rebuilding an XW fairmont sedan and it's currently got a 2.92 diff. I've looked in various books and it appears it's a limited slip diff. When I bought the car it had a 302 windsor with C4. I'm going to put a 351 Cleveland in it with about 300 to 350 hp and I'm hoping the diff will cope. It's not going to be used for drag racing etc, just a family cruiser.

I've been told the axle/diff housing out of an XB/XC will fit without any prob's. Is this the case. Anybody with any ideas I'd love to hear them
XW PHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2003, 05:16   #2 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Re: xw diff/axle housing

If the diff was healthy to start with and you be gentle to it, it should handle the 351,not sure about the XB/C diff housing though I thought they were a different length,could be wrong though.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 20:39   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Your diff should be 54" flange to flange. It's the same width as any X series car apart from the XY GT. The XY GT is 52" flange to flange.

Brenden
Old 09-23-2003, 00:38   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input.
XW PHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:04   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Your diff should be 54" flange to flange. It's the same width as any X series car apart from the XY GT. The XY GT is 52" flange to flange.

Brenden
Are you sure, I thought all XR-T-W-Y diffs were narrower than the later vehicles although the spring mounts are in the same place so they will all bolt up.
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:18   #6 (permalink)

Phil,
If you decide to go with a 9" I would be very interested in buying your B/W.
Regards,
Tote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:32   #7 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: Re: xw diff/axle housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
Are you sure, I thought all XR-T-W-Y diffs were narrower than the later vehicles although the spring mounts are in the same place so they will all bolt up.
Yup pretty sure. The only narrow X series diff I've seen and also noted in books is in the XY. Hence why it's so sort after and people put ridiculous prices on XY GT diffs.

I used for work for a Ford wreckers and changed quite a few diffs thanks to the idiot owner. I hated late night diff changes.

Brenden
Old 09-23-2003, 04:29   #8 (permalink)

I just went and measured the diff in the XT and its 1350 mm ( 53.25 " )between the bottom of the brake backing plates. As I recall the diff flanges are actually recessed in these plates so that would account for the other 3/4 of an inch. I have always thought that the earlier diffs were narrower. Do you know if the flanges are the same between the early diffs with the 9" style wheel bearings and the later ones with the tapered rollers ? It would be nice to run my brakes on a new diff.
Regds,
Tote
Old 09-23-2003, 05:48   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
I just went and measured the diff in the XT and its 1350 mm ( 53.25 " )between the bottom of the brake backing plates. As I recall the diff flanges are actually recessed in these plates so that would account for the other 3/4 of an inch. I have always thought that the earlier diffs were narrower. Do you know if the flanges are the same between the early diffs with the 9" style wheel bearings and the later ones with the tapered rollers ? It would be nice to run my brakes on a new diff.
Regds,
Tote
To the best of my knowledge yes. The 9" diffs have a large bearing version and a small bearing version. If I remember correctly? There was two different revisions of bearings on the disc break rears.

Theres also a difference in between a drum rear and a disc rear. There was the small bearing 9" diffs were drum rear and the large roller bearing 9" rear was disc rear. If my memory serves right?

All the brake systems bolt up as the flange is exactly the same, provided your going from drum --> drum or disc --> disc. The only difference I've seen is the actual bearing on the axle itself and thats easily changed.

I have a disc brake 9" myself from an XC. It uses the large roller bearing.

The difference was the small bearing 9" diffs were drum rear and the large roller bearing 9" rear was disc rear.

The disc rears with the large roller bearings are renouned for chewing out axles.

It's been quite a few years since I've worked @ the wreckers I was 18-19 then. I am close enough to 30 now. The last 9" conversion I did was my XB and that was nearly 3 years ago.

Going by what you've said it sounds like you have a drum rear? If yes? Everything will just bolt up. Ford did something right and made things interchangable unlike Holden who changed everything on each model.

Brenden
Old 09-23-2003, 06:20   #10 (permalink)

Cool, Yep Ive still got the standard 3.55 diff in the ute. I dont particularly want to go to a 9" and I definately dont want a Disk brake rear end. I'll keep my eyes out for a limited slip b/w drum unit and swap my brakes over. Pity tho, I found a newly rebuilt 4 pinion LSD out of a leaf sprung fairlane the other day for a couple of hundred dollars. You are correct about the different disk 9" diffs too. The XB GTs and landaus had a 9" that used a unique disk setup without the semi floating axles of the later XCs.

Regds,
Tote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline