Yet another annoying EB 4spd box - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2004, 16:19   #1 (permalink)
Registered Engine Abuser

Yet another annoying EB 4spd box

G'day

About 3 days ago the 4spd box in my 92' EB2 started playing up.

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I can seem to find it using the new google search.

This is what is hapening.......
When the box is cold it functions fine, no problems at all.
As soon as it begins to climb towards fluid opperationg temperature. First it starts to give sloppy shifts with the occasional slight rev and clunk between gears. Then once the box reaches opperationg temperature it really gets fun....... You get a normal take off, then once you climb through the revs in 1st it begins to slip and pretty soon after it will just free rev, absolutly, compleatly free rev. Very occasionally if I dont catch the rev in time it might try and jump into 2nd with a very very hard clunk, chirp and rev again.

What all this adds up to is, driving to pick someone up from work (5km) and only starting to develop a problem, then driving back home with noticable problems and at around halfway back having to drive at 20kph - free rev - pull over - take off - 20kph - free rev - pull over - take off - etc etc etc.....

The box doesent get thrashed or anything like that as I will need to sell it soon, so I really would doubt that a major component inside has decided to let go.

My guesses are, shagged S5 line pressure solenoid, or maybe a faulty fluid temp sensor?????

What do you all think?

Thanks
Mike
ScoopED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline