$1000 and an XF - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2001, 03:33   #1 (permalink)

$1,000 and an XF

Just got my tax refund back($1000) and wondering what the best way would be to spend the money to improve performance.

I have an XF S pac, 5 spd carb. What would a cam, head job and extractors cost? And also if someone knows could they please give me what 1/4 mile time it would do before and after?

Or do you think I would be better off to sell the thing and get a newer EB/ED fairmont? Gotta love those fairmonts :)

Thanks for any suggestions.
Matt
Futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2001, 16:31   #2 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

I'd go for Cain manifold and leave Weber 34 on - it'll flow close to Holley 350 with no emission or linkage problems. You'll need to make an adaptor plate out of aluminium but all you need is a drill and jigsaw. John Cain in NSW had a few left earlier this year about $150. They sold out and don't manufacture any more. I think Redline are maybe $300 and no better.

Then extractors as exhaust side is poor, plus 2 1/2 system. Plenty of new extractors advertised around $300, but don't know if there's a big difference between these and HM, Genie etc. Reasonable amount of second hand systems a lot cheaper in Trading Post, but you'd want to see them fitted to make sure they'll fit yours.

Cam would be good and I think Crow are about $300 or, assuming you've got 2.77 or 2.92 diff, maybe 3.23 or higher diff for more punch about $450 to $600 fitted.

That'll clear your tax refund. It'll also give you a car that probably still can't keep up with a stock EA 3.9 mpi.

I've assumed you've got 4.1 alloy head with probably T5. If it's smaller donk, ignore everything above, and if it's BW 0507 transmission ignore it again as it's not really up to decent power even in stock 4.1, and I'd definitely be looking at later model as better car.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 00:47   #3 (permalink)
Australian XF Member

eek Hiden power

What exhaust do you have.
Can you or a mate strip a dizzy.
Do you want low down go {rpm range}.
Oto or manwell.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 03:10   #4 (permalink)

Nothing against the XF but I would probably try to upgrade to a EA/EB.

Tim
Tim_EF_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 04:18   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Mate thats a classic case for all of us, whether to do up the falcon you got or get a later falcon.

My opinion, depends on the car. Is your car in top nick? If so keep it and spice it up, if not i'd be better to get a later model to avoid costly repairs.

I know a guy at work who has a Carbi XF with a 5 speed, only mods are extractors 21/2 inch exhaust and it goes hard.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 08:15   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys.

My car isn't in the bestest of conditions, mainly motor wise. But the car does still go pretty hard. Its completely stock and I get a better launch of the mark than a VR-VS-VT auto upto about 100km. Then I get to see how ugly the back of the crummydore really is.

I think I might just sell it and get a newer EB/ED. The car is however quite unique, being a XF S pak 5 spd and having all the fairmont ghia interior, including elc windows/mirrors. Any offers?

Cheers
Matt
Old 10-27-2001, 08:17   #7 (permalink)

Sorry should have gone under $1,000 and XF

Cheers
Old 10-27-2001, 08:31   #8 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

I merged the threads together for you :D
I would be interested if you weren't in perth
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 17:25   #9 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Re: reply

Quote:
Originally posted by xf_xr6
Thanks for the replies guys.

My car isn't in the bestest of conditions, mainly motor wise. But the car does still go pretty hard. Its completely stock and I get a better launch of the mark than a VR-VS-VT auto upto about 100km. Then I get to see how ugly the back of the crummydore really is.

I think I might just sell it and get a newer EB/ED. The car is however quite unique, being a XF S pak 5 spd and having all the fairmont ghia interior, including elc windows/mirrors. Any offers?

Cheers
Matt
I went through exactly the same thing with my XF a while back. In the end I changed over to an EA S 5sp 3.9mpi with 117,000k with excellent body and interior for a changeover of $850 on sale and purchase prices, which is less than half of just reco donk on XF. I'm in a much better car, notwithstanding the EA's poor reputation, and a lot happier driving it than I would have been if I'd done up the XF. If you can get an EB 11 onwards I'd go for it.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 00:52   #10 (permalink)
Australian XF Member

On my auto sed I now have a twin 2" conector {to big } from extractors with a 5" crosover chamber into a 2 1/2" chambered muffler and tailpipe I will be going back to a single 2 1/2 conector to get the low rev torke back.
If you have a spare dizzy lock up the sentrifical advance and time it by trial and eror I run 17 deg's on a leaded block, no ping and goes quite nicely.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech