Ford Forums banner

15 or 20??

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  XR_Strider_GuY 
#1 ·
I have an 94 6 cyl EF Fairmont Ghia that has done 245,000 km.
WHich grade of oil should I be using in the summer heat?
I currently have Pennzoil 15W50 synthetic. Is this a bit thin for summer heat on a car with this many kms?
It is due a change soon so any input much appreciated!
Also, which brands are best, if any?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Multigrade 15W50 means the oil behaves like a '15' grade oil when cold and a '50' grade oil when hot.

So to choose the right grade of oil in the summer heat relates to the latter part of the number ie '50', not 15W or 20W.

50 is considered a medium-thick oil already, but you can go to a 60 or 70, especially if your motor is getting a bit tired.

Check out Penrite HPR30 or any others that do a 15W60 or 20W70.

#5 ·
Just remember, don't run an oil thats too thick (60 or 70) than necessary. Running too think of an oil will result in the oil pump working harder and seals wearing more than using a lighter oil.

I think standard oil reccomended for an EF is 15w-40, so running a w50 oil will be more than adequete for the heat. Infact i would reccomend going an oil with a lower figure for the bottom number so the engine will lubricate faster on startup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.