19779 302 Front Main Seal replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 15:16   #1 (permalink)

Question 19779 302 Front Main Seal replacement

My girl has a 1979 Fairmont Squire "Woody" wagon, with a 302. The front main seal (actually known as the crankshaft seal, isn't it?) is blown, and i need to replace it. Can anyone with the knowledge of how to complete this task from start to finish help me? Only the main steps (remove oil pan and loosen harmonic balancer and so on...) and any pieces that need to be done in certain ways or order so as to not damage something, are actually needed. I am fairly familiar with this motor, having already replaced the valve cover gaskets, the fuel pump, the EGR valve, the water pump, etc., but this is, from what I'm given to understand, a bit more complex a repair than what I've done on it, to date. Thank you. and Happy Holidays!
spaulmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2008, 17:46   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 19779 302 Front Main Seal replacement

Happy Holidays!

Remove the harmonic balancer & remove the timing chain cover. You will probably have to lower the front of the oil pan a little to R&R the cover. Drive out old seal drive in new. Make sure the area where the seal rides on the balancer is smooth & has not cut a ridge, if it has get a repair sleeve.

I've heard of people replacing the seal with the timing chain cover on but not for sure if it can be done with the 302
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:37   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: 19779 302 Front Main Seal replacement

Thanks so much...sounds like I was misinformed, at least to the extent that this does not seem to be any more difficult than the other repairs I've done. Hope everyone's New Year is bright!
spaulmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:07   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 19779 302 Front Main Seal replacement

Forgot to mention, while you have the cover off would be a good time to change out the timing chain.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech