1984 Telstar woes (i know, get a new car, right?) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2003, 05:09   #1 (permalink)
LittleCar

1984 Telstar woes (i know, get a new car, right?)

I've inherited a little 1984, 5 speed manual, 2 litre Telstar Gl sedan recently from my mother, who has since procurred a shiny new Focus Ghia Sedan.

Now, not being a rich man I'm more than happy to keep it, however I have two questions that I thought maybe you guys could help me with if I asked really nicely.

Simply put, the car has a lot of problems, but none so aggravating as it's battery related ones. The battery went dead, I cleaned the contacts and stuck a charger onto it for twelve hours. This brings the battery up to a usable level, but after a couple of days (not using the radio, tape player or high beams) the battery loses its charge. When the car DOES start on days like those, comming out of the bottom of 2nd when rounding a corner makes all sorts of spluttery noises, as if the fuel isn't getting to where it's needed or something. I'm not sure whether it's the battery or the alternator or a combination of things. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Also, it's done a lot of k's, so many for a little car I'm not going to even post the number for fear of being laughed at. How much does it cost to get an old carby 2 litre rebuilt? Does anyone know a place in the northen suburbs that would do it? Is it even slightly worth it? I might not even be in the country by the end of the year, so I don't want to give this car up for a different car. Better the devil you know as far as I'm concerned.

I know you guys generally talk about serious cars and performance related mechanics, but if anyone can give me much needed advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2003, 05:21   #2 (permalink)

Does it have more kms than mine? ('83 626 - same car) hehe

Whats the voltage on the battery when the car is off? And what is it when the car is running?

As for rebuilding it, I wouldnt bother, just go to the wreckers and pick up a second hand one, if your lucky they may have one thats been rebuilt recently. There are still plenty of them around so it wont be hard to find a good engine somewhere.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:43   #3 (permalink)
LittleCar

Well, I'm not sure, how many has yours trudged through?

I'll have to check that voltage difference tomorrow. I'm guessing if it picks up when the car is on it's just the battery? I hope that's all it is.

Okay, second hand engine it is. What would I pay for something like that? For $500 or under I can do whatever is neccessary, but I refuse to spend more than what I estimate the value of the car to be. I mean, really, that's just silly.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:53   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

welcome little car, imo this is a car enthusiasts??? site not just for perfrmance wheels, i would go get a battery check most places do them for free and also put an alt meter on when the car is running to see what charge is going in, also with the rough running ive had cars run like crap because of low voltage ( not saying this is causing yours too tho)
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 07:05   #5 (permalink)
LittleCar

I'll definintely go do that. If all it is is either the battery or the alternator then she's doing okay . . . discounting the little crack on the windscreen, the expired LPG tank, the rust spots on the rear driver's side wheel arch, the broken door handle on the back passenger side, and the heater that doesn't shut off.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:26   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by LittleCar
I'll definintely go do that. If all it is is either the battery or the alternator then she's doing okay . . . discounting the little crack on the windscreen, the expired LPG tank, the rust spots on the rear driver's side wheel arch, the broken door handle on the back passenger side, and the heater that doesn't shut off.
Mine has over 375,000kms, and on its 2nd engine (which was 2nd hand from what I understand) and is on its way out.

As for problems? Rust in the hatch, rust in the passanger door, swaybar bushes absolutely shagged, all the other bushes nearly as bad, LH Front pwr window doesnt work, LH Front central locking doesnt work, 2nd gear syncro crunches bad when cold, leaks oil like a sieve, hatch and door pockets rattle like a bitch, clutch shudders, window rubbers stuffed.

Still I only payed $500 for it with 5months rego and hasnt missed a beat in the last 3months of ownership though, keeps the miles off the XR6 which is all I care about.

Oh, and it actually does good burnouts too (both wheels sometimes!)
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 07:58   #7 (permalink)

The battery is probably shagged. How old is it? Check the alternator charge though, no good putting in a new battery if the alternator is faulty.

Re-build/new motor; If you will be OS at the end of the year, I wouldn't bother, as long as your oil consumption is less than your petrol consumption :)
Is it using any oil?
Old 02-10-2003, 18:10   #8 (permalink)
LittleCar

Not excessive amounts of oil no. Mum never really reved the thing. When I got it you had to be in third by 60kph. :dead: I've broken it in a lot since then and it's still doing okay considering.

It's done 318000kms on its original engine (which made me think there's only so much longer it's going to keep on kicking) and taps out at about 160kph (after a very very long run up).

Other problems include a boot lid that can be opened with anything that turns the locking mechanism, and a third gear that is a real stab in the dark when you're in a hurry.

I think you win though Martin, ummm, congratulations?
Old 05-09-2003, 04:53   #9 (permalink)
yaramin

telstar 84

Did you know that telstars are compatable with mazdas of the same model.....to test your alternator, start the car and while it idles, remove the positive battery terminal...if its the alt the car will stop...to further test it, turn on you lights and if the reves change, then the alternater is fine.....Tropical ford in Rockhampton has a gregerory workshop manual for that model on clearance for $10 their no is 07 4931 9319 , this is the spare parts no direct...its on the clearance shelf to the right of th counter...I saw it today...8/may/03.......Wayne
Old 05-11-2003, 08:47   #10 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

Sorry, can't offer any better advice than what others have given you so far.

Just wanted to say I think Telstars(/626s) are great cars. My Dad bought one (a TX5) new in '85. He did heaps of work in it until 7 odd years ago when I learnt to drive in it and have driven it ever since (my Dad got a new Mazda Bravo at the time) until just about 10 months ago when I got the ute. Now my Dad is driving the Telstar again as he busted the Bravo. I haven't looked at the odo lately but it's done somewhere over 320k. It's still on the first engine and has never had many parts replaced. A while back I checked the compression, valve clearances etc. and it was still within facrory spec. - so close to 'new' readings infact that I was amazed. Great engine.

Still a great car to drive I reckon - and I'm yet to find another car which comes with servo-operated adjustable shocks which you can set from buttons in the dash - I'd love that feature in the Falcon actually.

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech