Ford Forums banner

1990's Falcon radiators

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  snafu 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a new radiator. I have found a couple of bodgy soldered off sections on mine. I think I could fit it myself okay. Later on I want the twin thermo fan setup.

The Natrad shop quoted me $340 after discounts on a 2 row, $440 for a 3 row. (Maybe it was a fitted price...)
The Ford Dealer gave me a good price ($270 something) for a genuine 4.0L radiator. I asked "What about a 3 row V8 one? He looked into the computer and then said "For your EB2 its the same part for the V8." ie a 2 row. The place was flat out and my time was up.

1. From this can I assume that the XR6 also uses this radiator?
2. Did the ED & EF V8 & XR6 use a 3 row and will that one fit my EB 4.0L?
3. Anyone done this before? Any clues for the clueless?
:idk:

#2 ·
I bought a new radiator for my ex ute about 3 months ago, and got a 30% improved effeciency radiator for about $300, had smaller tubes, and more of them, The guy was a small "backyarder" but seemed to knwo his shit, usually find these guys are better and cheaper than the bigger places

Try and find one close by and have a good chat..

The new radiator in my ute was a little too good at first, had to fiddle with bleed through valve, as at normal settings the thermo would open, the water would cool too much and then the thermo would shut again, temp gauge moved between "N" and "O" like a yo-yo, but it never moved above "o" even on a 40 deg day up the new SE Freeway in Adealaide (2~3km of uphill slope about 7~10deg)

#3 ·
Very interesting. A 3 row or a 2 row?

#4 ·
re

Ford EA-AU did not use a 3 row radiator at all. It's a crossflow radiator meaning that the tubes are going accross instead downwards & it's a 2 row. The tubes are larger & this radiator is better then the old 3 row style radiators which only have 15% more water volume then the old 2 row. These radiators are extremly good & effective and there is no need for the 3 row. The ford cooling system in EB-AU holds 15 liters of water which is more then enough to cool your engine & provide hot air for your heater....

#5 ·
Thanx a big bunch. Hugs and... handshakes.

But why can I find out more about radiators at FordForums.com than a radiator franchise that -I'd say- deals with a heap of Falcon and Commie radiator enquiries every week?

Its a weird world alright.

#6 ·
Got the new radiator in today. Genuine Ford part from local dreaded dealer $270. Fitting not included. Painted black. (WTB Artic White -out of stock).

#7 ·
WHEW!! Thank god you looked into a genuine one - when I started reading your original post a couple of minutes ago I nearly died (ie. at talk of over $300 for gear from a radiator place) - I fitted a new $270 genuine one about a year ago and couldn't be happier.

My problem was that the temp would climb rapidly at anything over 2600rpm and sometimes at idle (ie. waiting at shops) if outside temp was over 35 degrees. New radiator fixed it, so the old one musta been clogged (had been flushed numerous times tho).

#8 ·
And I told them to fit proper ring clamps all round and I changed a soft feeling old hose and I fitted a dual type thermo 82 deg stat. and all is well so far, though I've still to do a 2 hour freeway run to test it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.