Ford Forums banner

2002 Mustang GT conversion

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Herrod Motorsport 
#1 ·
A mate of mine just started a two year posting to the states and has bought himself a brand new Mustang GT. He would like to bring it back with him when he returns. Does anyone know how difficult and how much it is to get one converted to right hand hook and registered here in Australia? Are there other rego/ADR pitfalls? He is bringing it back to Canberra.

#2 ·
In Canberra you dont need to convert it over to RHD, but it would need an ugly "CAUTION: LEFT HAND DRIVE" sticker on the bumper...

Not sure of all the things necessary to be complianced other than ADR seatbelts, headlights (they point to the left) taillights from the Aus Cobra and an indicator on the front guards(?).

#3 ·
Sell it

Sell the thing and buy a Tickford Cobra in Australia.
There are a heap of people out there who have imported modern mustangs, had them converted and regerested and spent a hundred grand. then sell them for 50 grand a year later.
It is not worth the trouble.
Chrispy

PS the AV should have all the mustangs good bits (excluding fold down roof).

#4 ·
Re: Sell it

chrispy said:
Sell the thing and buy a Tickford Cobra in Australia.
Agree. The Mustang GT is a POS compared to the Cobras available here. Single cam engine, low rent brakes etc etc:nonono:

#5 ·
State has no authority on imported cars the Commonwealth is. Before you load a car on a ship you'll need a "permit to unload" other wise it sits at the wharf and they charge heaps.
get in touch with Department of Transport federal officeof road safety GPO Box594 Canberra ACT Ph # 61 2 6274 7111 Fax 6013..To get a import vehicle approval number etc..You will have to get it complianced here so ring Mustang Down Under Ph 03 5422 7203 fax 7155..At 5 Redesdale Rd Kyneton Vic 3444 O/k??
Before you load it get the whole car steam cleaned for A.Q.I.S Quarantine etc.. CLEAN...

They are on the net under Comm Gov dept for transport office..Have ALL your paperwork done. and can I say get a reciept "a low one" of how much you paid for it for thats what they may go on how much duty you pay.. I'd say iff you plan on keepng it as a enthusiests car good but DON'T think you are going to make any money out of it.. O/K..

#7 ·
Import it

I also live in the states. I'm bringing mine back with me when we're done here. Tell him to sell it and get a used Cobra ASAP. Then he should put all the usual bolt-ons on the car while he is here. They are cheap. Also he should buy a Vortec and ship it to Oz in a box.

Then convert the car to RHD, get it complianced and on the road, then bolt on that blower. He'll have a 450+rwhp Mustang on his hands.

Also while in the states he can depreciate the car so it won't be too much to import.

BTW conversion to RHD is around AUD$15K for late model stangs.

If he has the cash the '03 Cobra starts at USD$35K (already blown and puting down 360+ RWHP stock) Or he could pick up a nice 96-98 Cobra for less than USD20K.

Anthony

#8 ·
Wow - I'm located in Canberra, own an XC GS 351, have a ford-forums
login of "XCGS351", and I'm contemplating a posting to the US for a
while. If I went part of my plan would be to pick-up a Mustang GT and
bring it back here - so I'd be interested to hear how your mate gets
on.

But back to the subject at hand - I don't know about the RHD conversion issues, but I have investigated transporting cars
between the US and Australia. Basiacally, for a Falcon sized vehicle,
it costs US$5,000 to transport a car between Aus and the US, all
costs, taxes, etc included, that's door-to-door. I got several quotes
and all were close to this figure. Once the car is landed, getting
it registered etc is a separate issue.

Despite what others have said, like recommending buying one of the
crappy converted Tickford Mustangs for AU$100,000 (cough cough), it
still seems like a worthwhile option. Buy the car for about US$25K
in the US (which is cheap if you're earning US dollars, so forget
converting it back to AU$, that's not relevant) drive it around for
a year or two and get some use out of it. Bring it back to Aus for
US$5K, then sell it for something around AU$50,000 - sounds OK to me.

#10 ·
Herrod has now developed a carbon fire cold air inlet tube and 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust ststem complete with high flow sports cats and built in Xpipe.All parts are a direst bolt in and with computor program have gained around 35 to 30 kw at rear wheels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.