2006 Mercury Milan Starting Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 14:20   #1 (permalink)

2006 Mercury Milan Starting Problem

I have a Mercury Milan a while back it has a problem with starting it just died one night coming home gauges went out the digital part telling miles was out. It would not start turn the key nothing. Had it taken to a mechanic and they kept it for a few days and said it was something to do with the anti theft it was not reading the key. They said they found the problem it was a fuse that was out. Now 2 months later it happen again. Changed the fuse they said causes the problem and still will not start. check all the fuses pulled each one put them back. Check all under the dash and under the hood. The only thing that come on when you turn the key is the air bag light and the anti theft light you can hear what sound like the fuel pump coming on and can hear relays click but still nothing. If any one has heard of this and knows the problem please let me know. The next stop will be the dealer.
Jasonl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 17:07   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2006 Mercury Milan Starting Problem

There's probably a connection problem. Maybe a wire got rubbed through somewhere, poor connection. or a broken wire. Was the same fuse blown again?
Old 09-18-2011, 17:24   #3 (permalink)

Checked all the connectors on the SJB Smart Junction Box. disconnected and cleaned them. No fuses were blown pulled every one and check them with a meter. I am out of things to try. Disconnected batter to try to reset any thing. Nothing.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:08   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Assume the battery is o.k ? tried a jump ?
R.S.LOGAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 14:29   #5 (permalink)

Battery Fine, Head light work don't dim when turning key. Took it to the dealer today. They claim its the instrument cluster has gone bad. Any one heard of this?
Old 09-19-2011, 14:55   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

We had a similar fault with the Vauxhall Corsa over here , this explains .

" As an engineer in the car components industry (supplying Vauxhall amongst others) I have briefly researched this issue especially as my duaghter's recently purchased '54 plate corsa panel completely died. Luckily the car re-started. Apparently it's down to the connector at he rear of the instrument cluster working loose with vibration. As this communicates with the ECM the car will normally refuse to start and the engine can stop suddenly whilst driving. A quick fix is to push on the front of the instrument cluster or even 'thump' the dash above the centre of the cluster. "

The multi pin plug on the back of the instrument pod becomes loose , simple fix to cure . Sounds similar to your fault ?
Old 09-19-2011, 17:19   #7 (permalink)

Does sound similar. I would hope they will check that first. The guy told me they did not do anything to the car yet. But thought it was the instrument cluster. So I hope they will check the connections before just replacing it.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:32   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

The fix was just a couple of small pieces of foam , a bead of silicone and a tie strap .
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25   #9 (permalink)

Jasonl007 -

Did you ever solve the problem? I think my 2008 Milan is having the same issue. It is having trouble starting. I took it to the mechanic and I was told the same response "anti theft not reading the key correctly". They told me to get the keys reprogrammed, which I did, and this did not solve the problem.

Did you solve yours?

Thanks,

Kevin
teedybeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech