220kw AUIII XR8 MAN PINGING - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2002, 03:18   #1 (permalink)

220kw AUIII XR8 MAN PINGING

My XR8 Manual 220kw pings considerably when tromped in all gears. Ford has said that I need a recalibration from the US ? I have been waiting since June for a fix and still nothing from Ford. FPV are monitoring my dealer as well. I am wondering what the detonation is doing long term? Octane boosters do not help. Car has plenty of go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2002, 10:30   #2 (permalink)

1. Check for over-advanced ignition timing. Too much spark advance can cause cylinder pressures to rise too rapidly. If resetting the timing to stock specifications doesn't help, retarding the timing a couple of degrees and/or recalibrating the distributor advance curve may be necessary to keep detonation under control.

2. Check your spark plugs. The wrong heat range plug can cause detonation as well as preignition. If the insulators around the electrodes on your plugs appear yellowish or blistered, they may be too hot for the application. Try the next heat range colder spark plug. Copper core spark plugs generally have a broader heat range than ordinary plugs, which lessens the danger of detonation.

3. Check for engine overheating. A hot engine is more likely to suffer spark knock than one which runs at normal temperature. Overheating can be caused by a low coolant level, a slipping fan clutch, too small a fan, too hot a thermostat, a bad water pump, or even a missing fan shroud. Poor heat conduction in the head and water jackets can be caused by a buildup of lime deposits or steam pockets (which can result from trapped air pockets).

4. Check for a lean fuel mixture. Rich fuel mixtures resist detonation while lean ones do not. Air leaks in vacuum lines, intake manifold gaskets, carburetor gaskets or the induction plumbing downstream of a fuel injection throttle can all admit extra air into the engine and lean out the fuel mixture. Lean mixtures can also be caused by dirty fuel injectors, carburetor jets clogged with fuel deposits or dirt, a restricted fuel filter or a weak fuel pump. If the fuel mixture becomes too lean, "lean misfire" may occur as the load on the engine increases. This can cause a hesitation, stumble and/or rough idle problem as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 12-12-2002, 22:30   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Try cleaning your maf meter..??

Check engine mixture maybe too lean under load??
Your fuel pressure regulator may be too low fuel pressure,
an adjustable fuel pressure reg fitted would help in fine tuning..But only if lean...
Oil contamination through the pcv system can cause problems too../ egr as well ??Heating inlet charge somwwhat..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 00:23   #4 (permalink)

Mine pinged too. What may happen is that you put a tank of high octane optimax or mobil in then the computer advances the timing. then you put a tank of normal premium in and it pings as it is 2 octane lower. Stick to one type of gas.This fixed mine.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:29   #5 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

EEC Computer advances the timing you say? Seeing as the 8's have never had knock sensors in Falcons I dont see how the computer would have known to advance timing based on octane rating of the fuel.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 12:50   #6 (permalink)

OK I stuck to the high octane and it didnt ping so try that and stay away from the straight premium.

Anakha-Are you sure that 8s dont have knock sensors? Does the computer just have a fixed map for timing? What is all this talk about it learning? What does it learn?
Old 12-13-2002, 12:54   #7 (permalink)

Ops just noticed you tried octane boosters. Well im asleep
Old 12-13-2002, 23:26   #8 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

The V8 EEC's don't have a knock sensor. They have a fixed ingition map based on the base timing you set. The main learning function in the EEC is with fuel delivery. Put in a bigger cam, the computer will learn to give it more fuel etc.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 21:02   #9 (permalink)

Wow I didnt know that the engines were that primitive.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:45   #10 (permalink)

If you know where the intake air temp sensor is in the inlet manifold , remove it & clean it . This is common with these engines to cause pinging. TopGhia, AU V8 has coil pack , base timing not adjustable.
steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech