250,000km service. What's needed? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2003, 18:50   #1 (permalink)
Ford n00b

250,000km service. What's needed?

Ok, about to drop my falcon in for a service (Courtney & Patterson, Heidelberg).

Has 248,000 on the clock (country K's used to drive 150km return 5 times a fortnight) - the family's old car.

I was offered the 250,000km service ($380), which i was told required plugs, fuel filter, air filter, etc. I've replaced all those in the last 10,000km (the plugs only yesterday), as well as a headgasket about 8,000km ago, and a new radiator etc along with the head gasket.

Have done shocks, new boot struts, tyres are only 2,000km old, and had an alignment and balance done in the last 1000km, and am changing the oil & filter every 5,000km myself.

I told them i'll just have a normal service ($200), and to check a small idle problem i'm having.

My first question is, what else would be required to be done on a 250,000km service? Is there anything else i can do to make sure all the bases are covered (above what they will do in a normal service).

Also, what oil will ford use in my car? I've been running Mobil XHP Plus 15W-40 for the last 120,000km, so i don't really want to change (especially not to a synthetic - i've heard mineral to synthetic changes are very bad after a while). The mechanic that did the head gasket & head reco said the motor was in immaculate nick internally, so i'm happy to stick with the mobil.

Can i stick a note in my car to let them know what has already been done, and a quick note on the history of the car (i.e. what i would like checked)?

Fairly new to getting the car done at a genuine ford dealer, so i'd just like to know what i can and can't request...

Thanks!

DeeMan.
DeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2003, 19:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: 250,000km service. What's needed?

I would just change the engine oil and filter myself, check the tranny and diff oil levels and condition, also check the serpentine belt for cracks in the small vees
You seem to covered all other components
lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 19:14   #3 (permalink)
Ford n00b

I'm happy to let them change the oil as part of the service, but i would like to use the oil i specify (or, at least the same grade). Can i get them to do that?

Also, can i leave a note as to any extras i'd like them to check, and request a general tune-up?

Thanks!

Last edited by DeeMan; 09-01-2003 at 19:33.
Old 09-01-2003, 20:28   #4 (permalink)

you're the paying the bill, so you can ask them to do what ever you like
lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 21:53   #5 (permalink)
Ford n00b

Re: Re: 250,000km service. What's needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard
you're the paying the bill, so you can ask them to do what ever you like
Heh... true.

OK. Will call them tomorrow and see what oil they are looking to use, and to request a couple of extra things for them to check. Excellent. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2003, 21:56   #6 (permalink)

If your worried about the oil buy your own and take it along to the dealer.Remember your car,your money,get them to do what you want,anything they think needs doing get them to ring you for authorisation
Old 09-01-2003, 22:07   #7 (permalink)
Ford n00b

Thanks Taximan. Will provide my own oil. Prefer to go with what i know, and what's been working for me so far.

I always ask them to call me before they do anything outside the normal service items, so i don't get stung for anything i know i don't need.

I also have a quick look over things i can check (brake pads etc), so i can pull them up if they try to dodge me.

Again, thanks. Helping me go in armed with a bit more of an idea, so as not to get ripped...

Cheers.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:04   #8 (permalink)

how much were the boot struts mine are fubarred almost got decapitaited tha other day trying to put shopping in the boot
wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:05   #9 (permalink)
NOS + Boost = Fun

i used to do a similar thing to my EB II Fairmont. Oil, filters, blah blah blah, but did like the ford dealer to have a look over the car every 20,000 K's or so. All i did was write a list of what i do, and ask them to check every thing else. They always checked the oil and the oil filter anyways, but they did not replace them ( if needed ) until they had talked to me. They were pretty good about it too, and didn't make up things just to get my cash out of me. But each dealer is different.

As for your oil concerns, do as taximan has said. They wouldn't use synthetic anyway, that would cost them too much, they will only used what is specified in your car manual.
(I'll work it out one day)
Hilux Diff - 4.1 Detroit Locker
BlownV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:00   #10 (permalink)
Official EF Lover

My serveice manual only goes up to 160k (Gregory's) for the EF so I'd be having a stab in the dark here, but most servicable items are re-occurring after a certain amount of K's... after intial run in anyway.If it's an auto I'd get the the filter and oil changed (this may save you money down the track and they are supposed to be done every 80k anyway) and apart from all the obvioius things get your bushes checked and check the preload on the wheel bearings.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech