302 overheating - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2006, 13:48   #1 (permalink)

302 overheating

I searched but I could not find what I was looking for. I just installed a rebuilt 5.0 into a '91 Mustang and it's overheating. The water pump, radiator and thermostat are brand spankin' new and coolant is not leaking from anywhere. There does not appear to be any air in the system although there is the occasional bubble in the overflow tank.

There is a slight chance that the heater core hoses were installed in the reverse order, although I don't think that would cause overheating. The temperature dropped when the heater was switched on, but eventually overheated again. I was thinking that the heater core might be plugged but the hoses to it were pressurized. Otherwise I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ChadYJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2006, 08:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: 302 overheating

G'day,
is it actually boiling over?
or is the gauge saying its hot?

is it an aftermarket guage?, or are you relying on the the factory guage?

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 13:47   #3 (permalink)

I am relying on the factory gauge, but the engine is ticking like it's hot. It's not boiling over, although it was overflowing out the spout on the overflow until I replaced the (brand new) thermostat with a brand new thermostat. The newest t-stat made the overflow stop boiling (as if there was still air in the system), but did not quite correct the problem.

Before the t-stat replacement it was running cool at idle in park, but would overheat while moving (which is very backwards). I could get it to cool down on the move by putting it in neutral and revving up the engine or accelerating in gear.

And the fan is installed correctly (one of the threads I found said that people sometimes install it backwards).
Old 07-02-2006, 07:43   #4 (permalink)

G'day,
if it isn't boiling over, you probably really need to confirm what your temperature gauge is telling you.
Factory guages are not reknown for thier accuracy, then you add a few years of wear on them......

A decent electronic thermometer or even guage would give you a better picture of whether you really have a problem or not.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:14   #5 (permalink)

Alrightly, I'll try checking the temperature and see if the guage is lying to me. Thanks for the help.

Edit: If I check the temperature of the radiator hose, what should it read? I imagine that the outside of the hose will be cooler than the temperature of the coolant, right?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:51   #6 (permalink)

sounds to me like a blocked radiator, or even a blown head gasket will exhibit similar symptoms. I know you said it's been rebuilt, but maybe a head wasn't tensioned correctly?
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:50   #7 (permalink)

Any chance that the head gasket is on arse about?
nassi
nassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:57   #8 (permalink)

We checked the head gasket, it is in correctly. We also torqued it on according to the Haynes book. I'm thinking it might be a clogged radiator, even though it's a new radiator. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:31   #9 (permalink)

Well, we figured it out. The head gaskets were cheap ones that allowed the exhaust to leak into the coolant. Then the heads got overheated and warped .004" which required a resurfacing job to fix them. Hopefully this might help someone in the future.

If only we had used FelPro gaskets from the start we wouldn't have had to waste so much time.
Old 08-18-2006, 19:58   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

i think your problem has to do with the coolant system, because thats what cools your engine.im thinking that exaust leaked though and into the coolant, so you might need a resurficing job
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech