302 XA cooling issues..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2003, 16:54   #1 (permalink)

frown 302 XA cooling issues.....

....That I hope haven't come to a head... :o(

Hi all - any help or pointers much appreciated - got an XA GS 302, which for some time has had overheating problems in traffic - had the radiator repaired etc 4 months ago, but still the same. This can be worked around by topping the water regularly (read litre/day!), and sitting in neutral (auto), maybe giving a few revs. Where this falls down is if the lights are on, in which case it's unevitable I'll end up sat in a pub while it cools down. (When it's bad it is accompanied by a 1500rpm tickover and lights going off - weird..)Car doesn't have a thermostat.

Anyway, shit's come to a head today and water is pouring out of somewhere around the block (is it possible a drain plug has come out? Reading other issues sounds like they're troublesome..).

SOoo, firstly can someone please assure me I haven't got a cracked block....?! If so, I require a blown 351 for <$1000 pls ;o)

And assuming I'm still mobile how do I put a stop to this once and for all? I suspect the water pump (but then the lights issue..?!)
I guess there will be some good old big Ford nuts out there who may have experience of some of these issues, and any help would be much appreciated
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2003, 00:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: 302 XA cooling issues.....

Sounds like you may have a leaky welch plug. First you gotta find out where it's leaking from, otherwise we are just guessing. So get under and have a look and report back what you find.
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:15   #3 (permalink)

Cheers mate, that's one of the things i've been thinking - what us poms call core plugs (correct me if i'm wrong ....) - car's been left at work for the weekend now, but will check it out on monday - no reply means the jack was faulty...!!
If so, and it's the welch/core plugs, is this something i can do myself, or do i need to get someone in? Not been in aus long, and have no tools / time or experience really....
thanx again for the tip,

Stu
Old 11-08-2003, 05:20   #4 (permalink)

Welch plugs are easy to change. Can punch a screwdriver through them, and pry them out - recommend that you do all of them because if one is gone, the other ones will not be far off. If the plug falls inside the block, can use long nose pliers to get it out. Tap the new one in place using a socket ensuring it goes in square! The plugs are pretty cheap, the only real problem may be getting access to them.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 05:39   #5 (permalink)

id reccomend pulling the enging out to change the welsch plugs. makes certain you have them straight and everything.

As far as temperatures go when you are in traffic...id throw a thermofan on the front of the radiator, with a control swith inside the car, so you personally can turn the fan on/off whilst you're stuck in traffic/ cruising. a Fellow at my work has this with his pontiac...we are going to install a 12 or 14" fan from memory. And that will keep here cool! Just requires a bit of cutting and welding brackets, and buying a fan!
On my supra, i am not running any sort of belt driven fan. I have a 14 and 13" fans on the inside sucking - hooked up thermally. And i also have a 12" fan for the a/c. belt driven fans will always suck more air at high-rpms, but in traffic they are useless.
Blake.
302_supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 01:52   #6 (permalink)
always getting faster!

I wouldn't bother pulling the engine out to do your plugs, just unbolt the manifolds and pull them out, heaps of room in an xa with no manifolds..
Make sure you use a sealant when fitting the new plugs, I use stag, any non hardening sealer is fine.
I also recommend pulling off the standard fan, and fitting a set of ef/el thermo fans to the inside of the radiator, also fit a thermostatic switch so that the fans come on at about 90 deg cels, works a charm and you will never have to worry about forgetting to switch your fans on and cooking it again!!
Cheers..
Tim
lowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:40   #7 (permalink)

yeah thats what i meant..keep the original belt driven fan, but add a thermo on the front, controlled by the driver for example when he's in traffic....Fitting of el fans requires a bigger radiator from memory..the el's rads are something like 80mm wide! Otherwise some serious trimming is needed!
302_supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:33   #8 (permalink)
always getting faster!

I had an xc radiator in my ute, the xa should be the same, the el fans mounted onto it with a little bit of corner trimming with the air hacksaw...
lowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:12   #9 (permalink)
Munch Munch Rice 4 Lunch

well for starters what size radiator is it? is it a 2,3 or 4 core radiator, i'm running a 4core in my 302 XC and it never gets hot, its running a thermostat and belt driven fan, my fairlane, 351 runs a 3core and again it doesn't get hot and its all stock also. i'd say u should fix up the welch plugs and put in a thermostat before you go putting thermo's on it.
RevHeadRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 17:35   #10 (permalink)

How do I tell how many core the rad is? Just to confuse matters; my (at the time) girlfriend parked it in the back of someone else's pride and joy, and someone once commented that the replacement rad in it may be from an XY...
No-one seems to have commented on the electrical aspect - is this just one of those supernatural phenomena do you think?
All of you, thanks for your comments - MUCH appreciated. One thing I did toy with (tell me if I'm being stupid) is try and bung it up as best I can and just take it to someone (reasonably priced and knows XA's, in Sydney..?). someone recently gave me the name of someone fantastic allegedly in Manly, but I lost the details..

Cheers again,

Stu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XA.JPG (90.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Disco Stu; 11-10-2003 at 17:37.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech