302C Running On when key turned off - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2003, 22:05   #1 (permalink)
Hanging Around

302C Running On when key turned off

Hi all,

Got a car here (Xc) with a 302C on petrol / gas,
When on petrol, and the motor is hot, you turn the key off, and the motor keeps running on, and 'pinging' as it does so.

It only does it on petrol, and when hot.
On gas its fine
Plugs are BP6FS and new
Fuel Pump has been replaced (the old one was leaking)
The motor was rebuilt some years ago, although its only done around 50,000kms

The possibility's im throwing around are

1) Some fuel in the sump, and its running on vapours
2) Possibly leaking intake manifold gaskets, and sucking air / oil
3) The fuel line and soleniod (gas / fuel cut) get hot when the motor is hot, the brass bit of the solenoid is to the point you dont feel comfortable holding it for too long, Therefore the fuel could be boiling in the carb and the motor is running on the vapour.
The thermaquad carb on it has been reconditioned to try solve the problem, but made no diff.

I doubt it is due to carbon deposits in the cylinders, it has had top engine cleaner through it and also given a hard run...

Any other posibilities or people with similar probs?

9psi EB
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2003, 22:08   #2 (permalink)

Idle speed high
Carbon buildup.
Running rich at idle
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 22:21   #3 (permalink)
donuts2001

Your timing is too far advanced ya dingbat.

Retard your timing a little, and she'll run sweet as then and won't run on after you turn it off.
Old 05-05-2003, 22:43   #4 (permalink)
Driver of a BA XR8!

What donuts said!. My mate has advanced the timing on his XF with gas a bit, and he has also (at some stages) advanced it too much and it doesn't shut off. Retard the timing

"Give me any task to do, and I will find something else to do in it's place." Plato - a definition of procrastination
maco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 00:40   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Adjust idle slower or put an electric solanoid on it like the XD's had so when you turn key off the butterfly shuts off completly..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:04   #6 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Umm, why would the timing cause it, once the keys off, theres no spark anyway... Its igniting itself.
The timing is correct anyway, the balancer is in perfect cond.
It also does / did it at true 4* advance.

Anyhow, its sorted, it was idling too high, although it wouldnt idle down any more at all (idle solenoid was loose and idle screw right out)
It is a common problem with thermaquads (idling high), so the carb place is replacing the primary butterflys with ones with no bleed holes, and modifying the base to block some of the air bypass vanes, therefore it will idle correctly, and stall when the solenoid turns off.

Its a std 302 with thermaquad etc, so those that know the carb, will know what i mean.

Thanks anyway

9psi EB
Old 05-06-2003, 08:16   #7 (permalink)
donuts2001

Quote:
Umm, why would the timing cause it, once the keys off, theres no spark anyway... Its igniting itself.
Because it just does... has something to do with excess heat in the chambers or something caused by timing being too far advanced I think.

Common knowledge that advanced timing causes run on after the motor has been turned off. But now you mention idle speed I do remember my brothers celica had a little run on when it was turned off, but he had a mechanical fuel pump and it would have been well above normal idle.

Anyways glad you got it fixed.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:44   #8 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

quote:

Because it just does... has something to do with excess heat in the chambers or something caused by timing being too far advanced I think.

Common knowledge that advanced timing causes run on after the motor has been turned off. But now you mention idle speed I do remember my brothers celica had a little run on when it was turned off, but he had a mechanical fuel pump and it would have been well above normal idle.

Anyways glad you got it fixed.

WTF???

Have you ever done this before? 9psi EB was spot on! lower timing.

98% of the time this is the case. timing very rare.

have tested both on same engine with holley and thermoquad.
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech