4 Speed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2002, 01:35   #1 (permalink)

4 Speed

I,ve got an ea with a 4 speed automatic. Just recently I noticed that it is shifting 4 times which means 5 speeds.
1-2 at 18kph, 2-3 at 32kph, 3-4 at 56kph, 4-5? at 97kph.
Is one of these shifts the torque converter locking up? I didn't think that you could notice this.
image is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2002, 01:53   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

You should notice the drop in revs... and the 4 speed unit is very smooth anyway.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 05:13   #3 (permalink)
Ford Anti B&S Squad

4-5 , never noticed it. Didnt know that the lockup torque converter did that. Ahh well you learn something everyday. :)
EA90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 10:47   #4 (permalink)
EB wagon

image... Its kinda like a 5spd huh?? Your lockup seems fairly late tho? 95kph? mine locksup at around 75kph. Do you driver yer car in power mode all the time?

Brent
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 13:30   #5 (permalink)
Cobra188

EF have virtual six speed autos as their torque converter will lock in 3rd and 4th - it is quite noticable on mine - I don't mean you can feel it but the tacho tells you
Old 06-30-2002, 03:48   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

if you can feel it you may need to get your auto serviced - bands adjusted, new oil and filter, if the fluid is a bit sad it might contribute to poor shift quality and noticable lockup, or the friction material and the clutch plate in the converter may be worn.

my mate has a late 92 4.0 auto and we dont notice the lockup...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 03:38   #7 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

You should always see the lockup happen on the tacho - ie. converter stops slipping = reduction in revs. As far as feeling it - I never used to actually "feel" it, but since getting decent power out of my engine I am feeling it. Maybe some of the V8 guys can contribute their experience with it?
Old 07-02-2002, 06:01   #8 (permalink)
Stand clear: 5.0 in use!

I can definitely feel and hear the lockup, particularly with the torque from the 5.0 and a louder exhaust! The note changes as the phony fifth gear kicks in and the revs drop. The weird thing is on very light throttle at open road cruise, the car will accelerate slightly upon lockup! I guess it's the extra V8 torque being tranferred down the direct-drive driveline?

The best way to feel the effect is to use the 'economy' mode. This causes the trans to shift up at lower RPM and engages the lock up convertor much easier and earlier. You will find that it will lock in top gear even at around 60-70 kays on light throttle. Personally I hate the 'econ' mode. It short-shifts too early for my liking and reduces throttle response on kickdown.

My 2 cents, Mike

EF Fairmont Ghia, Bordeaux Purple, 5.0 Windsor, Crane cam, ChipTorque modded ECU, full XR bodykit, 16 inch XR8 alloys, 2.5 inch dropped Tickford suspension, full grey leather trim with chrome, woodgrain and lots of lights, climate control, ABS, Premium sound, trip computer, power everything

I can't get enough of this!
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 08:09   #9 (permalink)

re

Yes I totaly agree with you Mike. My EB Fairmont V8 does the same thing except I have modified my Throttle position sensor & the engine feels a bit more responsive now. The best part about the whole thing is that it costed me nothing!!!. Now that I have done this I couldn't go back to the way it was setup from the factory...

One question for all You EFI V8 owners. My auto will not kick down at around 60kph or so. In the fords car owners manual it says that this is normal & I would just like to know if anyone elses car does this. Has ford changed this on latter model autos or is it the same. I have also found that with modified exhaust + extractors that if i manualy shift the gears in my auto at around 5500rpm instead off 5000 as is in power mode the car picks up speed harder in second...etc. I was wondering if anyone else has experianced the same thing. I am guessing that since the engine breathes better the power has shifted up higher in the rpm range therefore when the revs fall down affter the auto changes the gear they fall down in the power band & the car starts to pull harder because of that. Please correct me if I am wrong but that's the only logical explanation that I could come up with...
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech