Ford Forums banner

86 XF 3.3 rings gone. What are my options?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  XWish Ute 
#1 ·
Hi,

While my 3.3ltr 3sp auto XF has never been quick off the mark, its been getting worse the past week or so and then just started running on 5 cylinders. Compression was ok all the way thru a month ago, but its puffing air out the oil filler like Mama Cass after a marathon, so I'm thinking one or more piston rings have gone. I've looke dat the plugs and a couple are fouled and wet. The question is, is it worth fixing?

1. How much would it cost roughly if I did a patch up job and got someone to just fix the cylinder(s) in question?

2. Alternately. how much are good second hand engines and where do you get them?

(I'm in NSW Central West area but could drive it carefully down to Victoria or to Sydney)

3. If I just sell it as is, how much could you get for a tidy white auto 3.3 XF with 12 slotters?

It has about 9 months Victorian reg, and only thing I can see needed for a roadworthy is a windscreen.

If anyone has some thoughts to offer it would be most appreciated. I'd fix it myself but I have no time, not much to spend, and need a car soon.

See less See more
#2 ·
You should be able to purchase a good 4.1 for around $500..Motor and box...www.tradingpost.com.au Or buy parts peddler mag....Local wreckers have heaps of good ole 4.1's...

#3 ·
Thanks..wasn't sure on the price range, so thats a great help. I'd imagine it's way too messy to start getting involved with only swapping engines if I can't get a 3.3, so engine and box together sounds the go. I'll be ringing around, but I don't think I'd bother if the donk was going to cost me $1000 or so. I've still got to pay someone to put it in...

#4 ·
4.1's should be as cheap as.Under $200??. Could even look at a crossflow engine...The motors last longer than the rest of the car in most cases...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.