89 CFI EFI trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2002, 16:36   #1 (permalink)

confused 89 CFI EFI trouble

G'day,
I'm new to this Group

I have an 10/89 cfi efi falcon it has about 330K(mostly country km's) on it and to date has been a very reliable family bus. Just lately it has been doing some odd things, it is hard to start sometimes when it is warm and has been left for half an hour or so,it fires but then stops straight away,does this alot, it takes quite some time to get it going!!

I took it to a tune up place and they replaced the map sensor and air charge temp sensor and spark plugs but it still plays up sometimes,I have just replaced the fuel filter( I examined the contents, it had very fine black looking stuff in it otherwise it seemed OK) and hoses, air filter is OK.

My wife drives this car most of the tme so it's hard to get good feedback but I drove it yesterday and when you accelerate after it has been parked for 10 or 15 minutes it dies and then backfires ( sounds like through the carbie in old car terms) it settles down after a while and seems to run fine.

Cold starts OK.

I have read some of the other threads and some good suggestions I will check the coil and TFI connections, dizzy cap and rotor button( I think I replaced these about 5 or 6 years ago) and check for vacuum leak perhaps, but , is this a fuel problem or ignition problem.

The injectors have never been changed or the fuel pump but I would like to be sure I'm replacing them for a good reason. I have alraedy spent $400 dollars on this problem without a result.

Thanks Mark
ejute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2002, 06:24   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Sounds fuel related to me. Check the fuel cap vent is working and the vent hose is not bent or clogged. Get the fuel pressure checked and run some injector cleaner through the system
Old 07-28-2002, 06:51   #3 (permalink)
EB wagon

Hey, i had that same problem back when i had my CFI. It dissapeared when i changed over to MPFI. Never could figure out that it was tho.

Brent
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 07:20   #4 (permalink)
ben

hey.

at the risk of saying exactly the same reply to most of my threads, i would like to say:

- Fuel pressure. Replace your fuel pump with a brand new one ($199)

low fuel pressure will cause backfiring when going to take off, stalling, hard to start, inconsistancy,

and what it will also cause is:

- Error code readings causing technicians (bad ones) to replace sensors instead of finding out why the sensor is out of range. sometimes the sensor is dead but often a sensor reads out of range because it detects and accurately reports a hardware fault.

good luck, let me know how it goes.

ben

ps: i dont think its your ignition.....electronic ignitions hardly ever play up.......if they do, the car doesnt usually leave the garage.
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 16:22   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback.

I checked the dizzy yesterday and found it had a film of oil through it, this had put a coating over the contacts inside , sort of burn brown deposit, anyway while cleaning it one of the sparkplug leads fell off, on the top of this lead post was a huge build up of hard, corrosion I guess, all the other posts are OK.
I have a new cap lead and rotor button coming today.The shaft of the dizzy is a little sloppy so I guess thats how the oil is getting up into the upper area of the dizzy,I had a look in the manual and there's no seal just a bush.This is not causing any problems at the moment but I may need to repair or replace it sooner rather than later.

I also removed the TFI unit cleaned everything up and applied new heat paste,everthing looked OK.

I'm rigging up a gauge to test the fuel pressure and I'll let you know how I go.Were did you get a fuel pump for $199? I have priced them from only two places so far and one was $280 the other $320.

Thanks Mark
Old 07-28-2002, 16:59   #6 (permalink)
ben

a genuine ford one is $266 i think

i got a $199 one from marlows. i dont know if you have a marlows....perhaps a coventrys ?

yeah check the pressure before the throttle body, it should be 200kPa

ben
Old 07-28-2002, 18:27   #7 (permalink)

I checked in the book for the fuel pressure for an EFI, it's 100kpa and if kink the hose for a couple of seconds it should go to 175kpa.
MPI is higher.
Cheers Mark
Old 07-29-2002, 14:53   #8 (permalink)

I checked the fuel pressure last night and it is low the the scale on the gauge I've got it a bit high but the pressure never went above 90 kpa, it sat on about 80 to 85 at idle and when I kinked the fuel hose it did'nt go above 90 then the engine stalled.

I rang marlows at Broadmeadows and they had some trouble finding a pump for an EFI sedan but me rang back and said they could supply one for about $140 odd dollars, sounds good to me.

In the midst of tracing this problem I have noticed the engine is missing at idle, at first I thought it was the dodgy sparkplug leads etc. but I have just replaced those and it is still missing. It appears that no1 cylinder is at fault. I swapped the spark plugs around hoping it was just a dodgy plug but it's still the same, when I remove the sparkplug lead from no1 cyl there's no change to engine idle.

I didn't have time to do a compression check, I did have to top up the water level the other day which is something I don't usually have to do.
I did a 250km trip in it last sunday and apart from the miss at idle it ran OK.

"Ye olde" head gasket perhaps??

Cheers Mark
Old 07-29-2002, 21:35   #9 (permalink)
ben

could be a head gasket, or a sticky valve, or no compression.

if it picks up when you start to drive away then it could be that its clearing water out of the combustion chamber (head gasket) and therefore not missing at decent revs.

You might have a burnt valve, in which case it wont fire even when u go to drive away.

The fuel pump is at the wrong pressure, so replace that for your problem.

are u using water ?, if so even a little take the head off and replace the gasket, inspecting the head for cracks and the valves while its off

ben
Old 07-31-2002, 13:34   #10 (permalink)

BUGGER.....looks like it's using water, I checked it before I left for work this morning and I think the water level has gone down since I checked it the other day.Are there any hidden traps in doing the head gasket. I have a genuine workshop manual and I've pulled plenty of push rod motors apart before.

Cheers Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech