'93 Ford Explorer Repair Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 20:29   #1 (permalink)

'93 Ford Explorer Repair Questions

Hi everyone,
First time poster. Thanks for any advise.

I've been given a '93 Ford Explorer as a gift. I don't want to put a lot of money into repairs on it as KBB is only about $800. I took it into Landmark Ford and they gave me this email in return.

Marty,
The original rough-running concern that brought the explorer to us has the technician recommending replacement sparkplugs and wires (one wire has sawed itself on the heater box). He also recommends a fuel filter replacement and clean the fuel injectors. The brake inspection requested finds front brakes worn to about 1mm thickness and rotors too thin to reuse. Additionally, the multi-point inspection finds front suspension balljoints worn to loose/wobbly and radius arm bushings worn.
Prices: initial performance diagnosis: $102
sparkplugs and wires: $304.29
fuel filter replacement: $ 67.90
fuel injector cleaning: $118.90
front brakes(pads/rotors/seals):$430.65
balljoints: $917.54
radius arm bushings: $372.64
alignment: $ 74.95
(may need shims): $194.40
total $2583.27

Any suggestions on whether or not I should just ditch the car or can I do some of these repairs myself? Are some not all that important to do right now? Just looking for some general advise as I don't want to put $2500 into the car. Thanks a lot
ats314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: '93 Ford Explorer Repair Questions

I'd do the brakes and suspension first. If you're handy at all, you may be able to do a lot of the work. Check the Autozone website for the free online manual, and see if you think you can do the work.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech