94 Aerostar bad idle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 04:32   #1 (permalink)

94 Aerostar bad idle

I have a 94 Aerostar 3.0L V6 with 172000 miles on it. The idle is rough mostly when cold but also some times when warm. I replaced the spark plugs and plug wires, not real sure the wires were bad. This helped maybe a little but still get some bad idling both cold and warm. Any ideas what's up?
paulwwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 15:07   #2 (permalink)
wasnt me

Re: 94 Aerostar bad idle

i would throw some injector cleaner in the gas tank(techron) and clean the throttle bore first then i would suspect the idle air control solenoid is either carboned up or just plain dying.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:56   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the information, and sorry I was a little slow getting back out here. I will try the injector cleaner first. When you mention cleaning the throttle bore, does this entail removing the throttle housing? Any info is great, thanks...
Old 01-27-2008, 15:38   #4 (permalink)
wasnt me

just take off the air filter and whatever hose there is(i dont remember how the aerostar is set up) and clean around the throttle bad with a rag and carb cleaner.
Old 01-28-2008, 18:25   #5 (permalink)

Excellent info thanks, pulled the hose off and sprayed some throttle/air intake cleaner spray in and around the throttle plate, and wiped out a bunch of the gunk. It was filthy, preliminary drive around the block appears to have fixed the problem. Hopefully this will be the fix I was looking for, thanks again...
Old 03-06-2008, 16:07   #6 (permalink)

Hope someone out there can help. To date, replaced plugs and wires. Cleaned throttle plate (twice), replaced idle air control valve solenoid. Idle is still rough sometimes. Also noticed an idle up/down when standing still running in park, engine warm. Kind of like a switch back and forth from cold idle to warm idle. I have a feeling it's a timing adjustment. Also is there any reason to suspect the distributor cap and spindle needs replaced? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech