94 ED Fairmont, erratic idle problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 09:05   #1 (permalink)

confused 94 ED Fairmont, erratic idle problem

Whenever I start my car, ( 94 6cyl ED Fairmont ) engine hot or cold, it will idle erraticly for about 15 to 30 seconds.
Its not really mis-firing, its mostly the revs keep fluctuating. It does eventually smooth itself out and idle normally, but sometimes, (most times) when I put it in reverse it starts to surge and carry on again.
I'm told it may be a vaccum leak, it does seem likely but then someone else said that if you have a vaccum leak your Climate Control will 'allways' default to demist. That doesn't happen, so where else can I look to track this problem down ? Its really getting on my nerves now.
Any ideas would be much appreciated ..... Thnx
spookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2007, 10:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: 94 ED Fairmont, erratic idle problem

I dont get it !!!! I posted this question in early January and its been read over 170 times, and yet,.............
not a single reply,,,,,,,, Doesnt anyone have any suggestions ? I guess this guy says it all
Old 03-21-2007, 02:41   #3 (permalink)

Have read your post once or twice.

Thought someone might know more than me.

Have you looked at the Coil lead? they crap out.
I have more knowledge on the centre point injecteds.
The throttle position sensor may be out of range, or the O2 sensor.

The fact it runs rough on startup, hints to me, that either you have your foot on it, or it has a dribbly injector.
Have you looked out the back when you start it? if its too much fuel it will blow black.

There is much that can go wrong...and normally its the simple stuff

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 14:56   #4 (permalink)

Thanx for your reply Jas
I replaced coil and plug leads and put a dose of injector cleaner in the tank, niether helped.
It doesnt blow black smoke, just a very light grey (if any) but it did seem to have a kind of orange tint to it if that makes any sense ?
I'll check the throttle position sensor next as I'm gonna be pulling the throttle body apart for a clean soon. A mate suspected possibly a worn throttle linkage so I'll see how I go from there.
By the way, if u happen to read this, what and where is the O2 sensor you mentioned ?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:33   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

A blocked air filter will cause this. Also try resetting the auto.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:35   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

To recalibrate the throttle if it is an auto trans. Ignition on, engine off , vehicle stationary then follow the sequence: manual 1, then economy, manual 2, performance, manual 3, economy. The mode indicator will flash continuously while the self test terminal is grounded until closed throttle calibration starts. Code 99 will displayed until the calibration is complete
Old 03-26-2007, 07:07   #7 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

also see ED running rough after flat battery
Old 04-01-2007, 02:23   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookster
Whenever I start my car, ( 94 6cyl ED Fairmont ) engine hot or cold, it will idle erraticly for about 15 to 30 seconds.
Its not really mis-firing, its mostly the revs keep fluctuating. It does eventually smooth itself out and idle normally, but sometimes, (most times) when I put it in reverse it starts to surge and carry on again.
I'm told it may be a vaccum leak, it does seem likely but then someone else said that if you have a vaccum leak your Climate Control will 'allways' default to demist. That doesn't happen, so where else can I look to track this problem down ? Its really getting on my nerves now.
Any ideas would be much appreciated ..... Thnx
Take it back to Ford and ask them to carry out an idle reset and throttle body clean out. They have the correct computer to set reset your idle properly.
Molsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech