96 t-bird a/c ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2005, 18:53   #1 (permalink)

frown 96 t-bird a/c ?

took t-bird 4.6l v-8 to midas today to check a/c, they say need new compressor and drier, they said was leaking from a/c compressor o-rings. they want $ 900.00 to replace drier and comp....cant i just replace o-rings and maybe hoses if needed? car is 9 yrs old so what you think ? think i should get the comp, and drier from store and have someone install or just go with the o-rings ???????
randynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2005, 19:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: 96 t-bird a/c ?

When was it last working? Is the clutch actuating? Was the compressor making noises then? If it wasn't I would suggest it maybe has just run out of gas and I would replace the o-rings (special air-con ones) and get it re-gassed.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 07:39   #3 (permalink)

confused Re: 96 t-bird a/c ?

the a/c was low they added 2 lbs, compressor kicked on (clutch) worked, then leaked out a lb then shut off, i just bought the car so i dont know when and how it worked. i can spin the clutch by hand freely
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08   #4 (permalink)

what brand of compressor is it? alot of compressors are throw away items as no-one in aust supplies spare parts for them. we send compressors to singapore to have them overhauled and then returned. thats the only place we know of who do them but at about $800 a throw(incl freight) we only do it to the european stuff where the compressors can exceed $2000 for a new unit.

where are you? cos in aust $900 for a compressor replacement isnt too bad considering you're paying for a compressor, receiver dryer, labour to fit both and the regas.

See them both here <=-- Page Updated 15 October 2006
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 21:05   #5 (permalink)

im in california. just wondered what i should do. im going to repaint and do interior which is kinda average for the age, going to cherry it out for club. i just want to do it right, thanks....Randy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraHymen
what brand of compressor is it? alot of compressors are throw away items as no-one in aust supplies spare parts for them. we send compressors to singapore to have them overhauled and then returned. thats the only place we know of who do them but at about $800 a throw(incl freight) we only do it to the european stuff where the compressors can exceed $2000 for a new unit.

where are you? cos in aust $900 for a compressor replacement isnt too bad considering you're paying for a compressor, receiver dryer, labour to fit both and the regas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech