Ford Forums banner

96 XH XR6 engine to replace EA 3.9mpfi

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NZ ea xr6 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I was wanting to know the following,

My enigne has oil leaks all over, and was quoted around or just over $1000 for all seals and a new clutch. Now the point is i was a XH XR6 engine in the market place, parts for sale for $1050. Has anyone done a similar conversion.

Questions llike:
The 96 XH computer, will it run the EA interior dash stuff
/or will the EA 3.9 Computer run the XH engine?

The 96 A/C compressor, will it run the EA gear?

Any other problems you people could think of?

I'll be going to Ford soon to ask if they have any information

#2 ·
It'll all bolt in OK. If you have CFI, you'll have to convert it, there are many many threads on this subject.
Also I believe the engine mount brackets are different, so you'll have to bolt your old brackets onto the new engine block. Not hard.

If it is CFI, you'll also need to change the computer. Now the XH I *think* was the EL equivalent, so I'm pretty sure it will require Smartlock to run the computer - this can be done, or you could probably swap it to some wrecker for an EA MPI computer...

Your compresser will need to have at least 4 ribs on the pulley to be able to use the serpentine belt. If you have more than 4 but less than 6, you'll need a new belt. More than 6 will be fine. I know 4 is sufficient because mine is currently running a 4-rib belt without slipping :)
Unfortunately, many compressers on the EAs seem to be aftermarket, so I can't tell you if yours will work or not. The favourite unit seems to be a Sanden multi-purpose unit, which has about 10 ribs so will work.

Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.