97 explorer air conditioning - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2005, 11:03   #1 (permalink)

97 explorer air conditioning

hello. my ac is not acting "cool" enough, and i want to try and add r134 stuff to the system if that is the problem. where is the low pressure tap? is it the one on the black steel bottle that has three lines going in to it? thanks
jackieexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2005, 16:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: 97 explorer air conditioning

If you are not experienced in air conditioning, I would not recommend adding the 134. Expecially if it is already cooling. Too much is as bad if not worse than not enough. Your really need a set of gauges to see what both pressures are. You may have a friend that has the gauges and the experience to check and or fill the a/c.
rollis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 16:57   #3 (permalink)

All my local A/C shops do free inspections. Look into that before you tear into anything- if you slip up, you can actually make it worse... especially if you overpressurize the system.

I do nearly all my work myself... but I don't touch a charged A/C.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 20:23   #4 (permalink)

If the quart sized steel "bottle" is very cold you probably have enough freon.
In park, rev the engine slightly (1200 rpm) with the AC on medium - if the clutch on the AC compressor is not cycling off faster than about once every 8 seconds you probably have enough freon.
If you can touch the line going into the cab and the line coming out (to the "bottle") and they seem to be the same temperature you DO have enough freon.
The AC system cycles the clutch off when the low side gets down near 35 psia because that pressure will make it cool; if you have enough freon.
If you are low on freon the system cycles the cluch fast or keeps it off because the pressure is low to start with.
I have never put too much freon in because I never put ANY in unless I'm sure it is low. Too much can do some big buck damage.
The system cools best when it just barely enough freon.
If you do add freon - add only 1/4 can and then see if the "bottle" is cooler - if it is not cooler, STOP.
Toppa Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:37   #5 (permalink)

That's good advice, Toppa Tom. I'm gonna have to remember that next time I have trouble (after I get all the O-rings replaced and the system recharged...)

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech