ABS Light stays on wifes fairmont - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2004, 05:56   #1 (permalink)

ABS Light stays on wifes fairmont

AS above wife had a flat battery that had given up put a new battery in and the abs light lights up about 2 sec after you start the car .Before we changed the battery it never stayed on.Does the computer need to be reset does ford need to do this any help woulld be greatly appreciated

regards
Peter
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2004, 10:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: ABS Light stays on wifes fairmont

sounds to me like it's working fine now and wasnt working properly before

See them both here <=-- Page Updated 15 October 2006
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 18:12   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraHymen
sounds to me like it's working fine now and wasnt working properly before

Just gotta love when these guys come out of the woods.
Car has been to brakes plus and there is nothin wrong with the abs but they cant reset it. I will say it slowly WE HAVE HAD THE CAR FOR OVER 5 YEARS BATTERY DIED SO WE REPLACED IT WHEN WE PUT THE NEW BATTERY IN THE ABS LIGHT CAME ON FROM THAT POINT. WHENYOU START THE MOTOR ABS LIGHT COMES ON AFTER 3SEC.
Now mate I know you drive a cortina and they dont have many electronics in them like abs but obviously you have better things to do. there is a history of abs,steering bag lights etc coming on apparently ford can reset these but they charge a couple hundred to do this so I am told.
Old 06-25-2004, 23:33   #4 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

So it doesn't just come on for afew seconds then go off... it comes on and stays on? Sorry but I found your first post a little confusing. The light should appear momentarily but go off if the system is working OK. Any possibility of a reset should be through disconnecting the battery for a few hours (some things like airbag remain active for a period after main power loss).

What model do you have? Have you or Ford run a diagnostic yet?

Depending on where the ABS unit is located there's a possibility that something was bumped/disconnected when chaning the battery over.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 00:21   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Just gotta love when these guys come out of the woods.
Car has been to brakes plus and there is nothin wrong with the abs but they cant reset it. I will say it slowly WE HAVE HAD THE CAR FOR OVER 5 YEARS BATTERY DIED SO WE REPLACED IT WHEN WE PUT THE NEW BATTERY IN THE ABS LIGHT CAME ON FROM THAT POINT. WHENYOU START THE MOTOR ABS LIGHT COMES ON AFTER 3SEC.
Now mate I know you drive a cortina and they dont have many electronics in them like abs but obviously you have better things to do. there is a history of abs,steering bag lights etc coming on apparently ford can reset these but they charge a couple hundred to do this so I am told.

beg your pardon? who rang the bell and let every cantankerous idiot in the door? i'm sorry that i misread your first message and understood as it comes on and then goes out after a few seconds but there's no need to get rude and arrogant about it. if you dont want someone's opinion then dont post a message asking for it.

what has my driving a cortina which "dont have many electronics" got to do with it? i would have thought 17 years as a mechanic and 12 as an automotive engineer would have qualified me to answer a question without getting my head ripped off. and yeah i do have better things to do.

i hope someone does charge you a couple hundred bucks to reset it, u deserve it

See them both here <=-- Page Updated 15 October 2006
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 06:49   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

What model Fairmont?
The changing the battery should be sufficient to reset the ECU.
When you say you took it to the brake placeto get teh abs checked, did they check teh Fault codes?
You will probably have to take it to Ford to get them to read any fault codes and tell you whereto look.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 02:30   #7 (permalink)

oh me so sad now you bad person so mean my beleif is these forums are there for people who want useful advice, not you eh, oh well I hope you have a good day as you are obviously on grumpy pills. when I see a post I try to look for a solution if I dont know I dont reply to it. (maybe good advice)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraHymen
beg your pardon? who rang the bell and let every cantankerous idiot in the door? i'm sorry that i misread your first message and understood as it comes on and then goes out after a few seconds but there's no need to get rude and arrogant about it. if you dont want someone's opinion then dont post a message asking for it.

what has my driving a cortina which "dont have many electronics" got to do with it? i would have thought 17 years as a mechanic and 12 as an automotive engineer would have qualified me to answer a question without getting my head ripped off. and yeah i do have better things to do.

i hope someone does charge you a couple hundred bucks to reset it, u deserve it
Old 06-27-2004, 02:32   #8 (permalink)

Its an ED fairmont it wasnt till we changed the battery that the problem started apparent from what i have been told ford will sting you with a bill to reset it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKFD6
What model Fairmont?
The changing the battery should be sufficient to reset the ECU.
When you say you took it to the brake placeto get teh abs checked, did they check teh Fault codes?
You will probably have to take it to Ford to get them to read any fault codes and tell you whereto look.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:52   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Hate to tell you, but Ford will probably be the only people who can reset it.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 04:24   #10 (permalink)

Who cares if the light is on?? Jab the brakes and see if the abs works. If it does then why worry?

My old ED did it. Lucky my old man works at ford, they just hook something up and bang, its gone!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech