Adding a subwoofer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2001, 15:48   #1 (permalink)
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB

Adding a subwoofer

On the rear parcel shelfon an AU2 XR6 there is (from the boot) between the rear 6X9 speakers an 8" cutout into the metal whvih looks like its for a speaker, even has the wiring to the area. I decided to see if infact one could add a 8" 300W Subwoofer to tis...but when connected up...nothing, shilence...no power is getting to the cable that is obviuosly there for that reason, how does one get 'action' to the wirirng?..is there a fuse ot the like somewhere to add etc. etc. etc.
dkmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2001, 16:07   #2 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

The hole is for an 8" sub. However the wiring there is only part of the loom for the Premium Sound option.

To run a sub you will need to install a separate amplifier. This will be a bit tricky if you are only running a factory head unit as you will need RCA's out to run to the Amplifier...

Nipper.....
Nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 16:20   #3 (permalink)
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB

Thanks for the reply, and to all i do apologise for a bad typing effort before...its the indash 6CD changer, but im gussing it has no RCA out for a sub, my other card and a VDO dayotn that had 2 RCA out for sub/amplifier etc...how would I add an amplifier to the kit?????
Old 06-24-2001, 16:38   #4 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

DKMAJ,
just for your info, I added a 10 inch Alpine sub underneath the 8 inch hole. i cut a perfect cirlce in the rear deck carpet and fitted a 10 inch speaker mesh. Also, to power this i fitted an amp(actually 2) the the backs of the seats in upright positions. Mounting amps virtically provides good heat dissipation aswell.
Cheers,
Rob
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 16:53   #5 (permalink)
BSR

if you have no rca's you will need an amp with high level out, this will turn speaker cable into an rca channel.....
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 18:15   #6 (permalink)
ianTE50

DKMAJ
Just in case you were thinking of buying another set of 6X9's for the rear be careful they are actually 5X7's & the same in the front doors. I had a mate that found this out the hard way after he bought a $300 set of speakers.
Old 06-24-2001, 18:24   #7 (permalink)
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB

thanks for the heads up there!!!...it was a real possibility replacing the orig. speakers. Think thoughthat it has all got way too complicated for a mug like me!!!...
Old 06-24-2001, 18:27   #8 (permalink)
NSW TICKFORD OWNERS CLUB

How hard is it to fit an amplifier to the original kit (6CD in dash changer unit on XR6 AU2 VCT)?????
Old 06-25-2001, 06:55   #9 (permalink)
BSR

Wouldnt be too hard, but for better sound quality you are better off replacing head unit as well. This will give you dedicated RCA's.....but if you want to keep factory head unit you will have to buy an amp with high level inputs. Then you will be able to run rears and sub from the amp. This is not the best way for SQ but it will do what you want!
By the way i replaced my crap factory speakers in my Au XR8 with Boston 7x5 splits at the front and Boston 7x5 2 ways in the rear...you wouldnt believe the difference!!
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 07:05   #10 (permalink)
jase_elxr8

Hi,

I'm upgrading my mates AU 'S' on the weekend with a panasonic head unit and stacker, can anyone tell me how the head unit comes out??

With my EL, I upgraded the head unit with a pineer unit, running factory speakers with the HPF and LPF enabled on the deck. I then have kicker 10" in a box behind the back seat with and amp mounted on the side of the boot.
Thanks,
Jase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech