adjusting idle :) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2002, 13:51   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler66

adjusting idle :)

Hi, I see there are two cable leading to the accellerator mechinism under my hood. I dont have a manual yet either :)
There i a cable that has two nuts on it and also a cable that has an adjusting nut just on top the head where it is heading towards. Please can you tell me which one should i tighten to make my fairmont idle just a wee bit faster than it does to stop it from cutting out straight after i start it.

Thanks for your replys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2002, 14:31   #2 (permalink)
Brent79

Those 2 cables should not be adjusted too increase idle. One is the throttle linkage and the other is the cruise control cable.
You need to adjust the idle at the throttle body. There is 2 screws on the throttle body. One actually controls the idle and the other is a throttle-stop screw. You need to turn the idle screw (the one towards the bottom) till you get the right idle. I think also that you have to disconnect the ISC when doing this (true?)

Brent
Old 02-21-2002, 14:33   #3 (permalink)
ben

is it a CFI ?....the one with the 2 adjusting nuts on it (if it comes from under the throttle and leads back down to the transmission) is the kickdown cable, and the other is throttle cable.

adjusting these only adjusts the pull amount, not the offset amount.

adjust your idle screw to increase idle, however stalling after starting, but not at other times, indicates an engine management error. take it to ultratune for $45 and have the whole lot tuned and tested.

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 14:37   #4 (permalink)
Brent79

Did fairmonts come in CFI? I thought they were all MPFI?!

Brent
Old 02-21-2002, 14:43   #5 (permalink)
ben

i was going to avoid asking the question if it was a CFI because i thought i saw the word fairmont in there, but i couldnt find it....

now i can see it

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 14:47   #6 (permalink)
Brent79

Hey ben, actually when i think about it, ive seen many EA fairmonts without the 3.9L multi-point badge so they might have come as an option like on the GL models. Im pretty sure that the EB fairmonts only came with multipoint tho..

Brent
Old 02-21-2002, 15:25   #7 (permalink)
-

eb fairmonts were only multi in the series one, but ea fairmonts had multi as an option.

damn centrepoint!
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 13:52   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler66

your replies have help me heaps, thank you peoples very much :)
Old 02-25-2002, 11:41   #9 (permalink)
eeyoretn

dc idle motor

check your dc idle motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech