Adjusting lead footed cruise control ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2003, 14:25   #1 (permalink)
Mob Sh!tter Extrodinaire

Adjusting lead footed cruise control ?

Hey guys.

I've notice when driving my manual EF futura on the highway with cruise control on it seems really lead footed when it comes to a grade. You'll be going along minding your own business and come to a slight incline (which the car will easily amble up) when the accelerator suddenly dissappears from beneath your foot. I've been playing with the dash diagnostics mode and the instant fuel consumption takes a massive hike during these manouvers (as does it when ever you put your foot down)

Anyway, is there any way to adjust how quickly it accelerates ? I only use it on the highway* and am not too worried about it strictly maintaining the set speed. I'm more concerned with fuel consumption with petrol prices at the moment!

*apart from things like when I first got the car and set it to 90, then went back to 50ks in 2nd and hit resume :s6:

5 speed 4.0 EF Futura
IT's Stage 4 engine
ET: 14.4 R/T: 0.001s !
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2003, 15:29   #2 (permalink)
svoghia

Im not sure but our EL used to do that heading up a steep hill, but it was an auto. set the CC to 110 and boom it would take off at the base of a hill. lmao it got to 130 before dad turned it off.
Old 02-06-2003, 16:11   #3 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Nope the car is trying to maintain the revs as its comming under load I agree its a freaky thing.
Best to turn it off if going up a hill

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 16:26   #4 (permalink)
In love with FORD!

can't blame the old girl for being a bit frisky hehehe.
brewsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 16:39   #5 (permalink)
svoghia

lol you dont expect it. cruisn at 110 and expecting 110 and then boom. you take off. lmao
Old 02-06-2003, 16:39   #6 (permalink)
plarsson

Lightbulb

The thing with cruise controls is that they cant see the road ahead. They respond to apparent demand instead.

Hence it wont slow down for corners and when it comes to hills it tries to compensate for losing momentum, by accellerating up it instead.

You might not realise it but when your driving and see a hill you increase your speed to get extra momentum to go over that hill. This is using physics to your advantage, also saves a little bit of fuel too.

Cruise control really is only effective for long flattish sort of roads(like the Hay Plains or the F3 north after Ourimbah) where the fatigue of holding your foot in one position is uncomfortable.

If your inclined to fiddle, perhaps you could make a smaller pulley on the throttle body for the cruise control to operate on, so that it doesnt acheive full WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Its just a thought.
Old 02-06-2003, 17:03   #7 (permalink)

if you get a cruise control module from a AU it will slow it down. Something they fixed at AU. the module is infront of the driver under the bonnet. it has three nuts you can see and a cable going from the throttle body. Easy swap to do. My 3.5 year old could do it!!!
harasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 21:06   #8 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Maybe there is a fault somewhere, my EFII Ghia's cruise works very very well, the best I have yet to come across. Even on steep hills it only applies just enough throttle to maintain the set speed, if the hill is to steep it won't accellerate to much and does lose a bit of speed however, it pretty much drives the car exactly how I would drive it.
Old 02-06-2003, 23:19   #9 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

never had a problem with the factory CC I installed on my EF XR6.

I have noticed my sisters AU II has a smoother actuating CC though.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 04:16   #10 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

My ED goes hammer and tongs up hills if they get steep enough, it will try hard in 4th before giving in and searching for 3rd. Once there it lets it have it.

Won't go over the preset speed though.:s6:
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech