Advice needed - fuel efficiency, oils, mods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2003, 17:22   #1 (permalink)

Advice needed - fuel efficiency, oils, mods

Hi guys!

I just purchased an 1988 EA Falcon GL 3.2 L Auto (power steering, a/c) from a car yard for $1200 and spent another $1500 getting it fixed for a RWC etc.

Within 36 hrs of delivery, the car overheated and broke down as it had a leaking radiator tap (apparently not being discovered by the mechanice).

The odometer was not working either so I had that replaced - however that broke down after 20 km driving so that just made the buying a car experience even worse.

It also seemed to guzzle a fair bit of fuel.

What I really did want to know is if the car is really worth all the effort. My wife has already threatened to leave me for not listening to her advice and getting a smaller car - well the car seemed a rather comfy ride.

I've spoken to the previous owner and she is a 70 year old lady (she was the first owner as well) so that seemed to be a bit reassuring.

What I needed to know was the following:

1. A good motor mechanic in Melbourne
2. Tips on optimising fuel usage
3. What Motor oil and fluids are good for the model itself.
4. Any other words of wisdom ... (mods/changes etc that need to be done)

I basically use it to goto work and the occassional shopping.

Cheers,

V.V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ford.jpg (4.3 KB, 100 views)
vvsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2003, 17:36   #2 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Judging by that badge on the guard, it may be a 3.9L Multi-point not a 3.2 CFI. If it is, what would that badge be? I thought the only badges there on the EA's were "3.9 Multi-point", "Ghia" and "30th Anniversary".

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 17:42   #3 (permalink)

Ford 3.2l CFi

No it is a 3.2 L for sure - the badge is of another car I think ;-)
vvsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 19:44   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I'd say that pic is from http://www.eafalcon.com/buyingtips/index.htm

Personally, I'm not sure I'd bother spending too much money on the car, especially if it's causing problems at home.

Depending on the overall condition of the car, there is a possibility that things will continue to go wrong, and unfortunately the 3.2 auto GLs don't have much going for them in terms of performance, economy, features or refinement to brighten up the ownership experience.

If you wish I am PM you the details of my mechanic, located in the South Eastern suburbs.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 21:59   #5 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

Yeah I agree with what Jack has said, if you are deadset on keeping the car, then you might want to consider upgrading the engine to a 3.9MPI or a 4.0MPI engine and perhaps a different transmission, be it another different 3spd (C4 from older Falcons) or a 5spd manual, but it is alot to weigh up, perhaps it may be worth cutting your losses and getting something different if it is causing problems at home as you have said
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 03:07   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Chances are that you could find a car with extras/mods done to it for not all that much more. You'll never get back what you put into a car$$ Compare the cost of what might be needed, or what you want done, to a different car with it already done.

I readone head gasket and cyl head, looked at what i'd get if i sold it then, and kept the car coz i wouldnt recover any of the costs. From another point I know what has been done, or needs to be.
Think i strayed a bit

Bit of a toss up. (Whether its worth the effort or not)
Spose its upto you and your wallet

Havent herd of many 3.2's around though.
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 23:16   #7 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Jack: Could you PM me with your Mechanic? I'm in the South-eastern suburbs (of Melbourne, I assume thats where you are?) and I am yet to find a decent mechanic..

On the other hand, I can tell you: Don't go to Martellos (Ferntree gully) for anything complex, but they do a good basic service at a nice price.
Don't go to Carrera automotive (at all, unless you have a couple of grand to throw away) in Croydon.

Don't trust Ace automotive in Croydon, either.. that mistake might have been once off, but that's enough for me.
Old 03-02-2003, 00:07   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Take a look at the Complience Plate and tell us what engine code it has.
Old 03-02-2003, 17:03   #9 (permalink)
Ford!Resistance is Futile

mad

Quote:
Originally posted by juarez
Jack: Could you PM me with your Mechanic? I'm in the South-eastern suburbs (of Melbourne, I assume thats where you are?) and I am yet to find a decent mechanic..

On the other hand, I can tell you: Don't go to Martellos (Ferntree gully) for anything complex, but they do a good basic service at a nice price.
Don't go to Carrera automotive (at all, unless you have a couple of grand to throw away) in Croydon.

Don't trust Ace automotive in Croydon, either.. that mistake might have been once off, but that's enough for me.
Juarez - Mate I am with you, I don't know wether it is that Martellos aren't up to the Fords or wether they have no Idea but I went there with my ED with a stalling problem they said it was injectors charged me $80 and really did nothing, it turned out to be the Dizzy. ACE in Croydon just tell you nothing, I got a 2.5" exhaust there and it is Press bent I wanted Mandrel, and when they fitted the extractors they pushed the exhaust back to far and it knocked on the wheel well, then did a rush job to rectify this and now the welds are begining to rust.
I have a Mechanic I got to now, and I can honestly say they are the best Mechanics I have ever been to, i won't go anywhere else, I was so impressed with thier work I recomended them to my mate with a 1964 Ford Mustang (very picky person) and now he will go no where else either, only problem is they are in Knoxfield, but it is well worth the trip.

Eco Friendly Car Care, Factory 5/1 Rushdale St, Knoxfield, Mechanic - Steve
ELF98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech