aftermarket tacho - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2005, 02:24   #1 (permalink)
Chook

aftermarket tacho

have recently got an aftermarket tacho, with shift light from a mate, and am looking at installing it in my XG Ute. I was wondering if anyoe out there could give me any pointers on actually wiring it up, as i got it with no packaging or instructions. Incase you are wondering, it has 4 wires to connect, a red, white, black, and green, and i have a standard longreach, so unsure if the wiring is already there behind the instrument cluster for a factory tacho, as in the xr's and s packs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also on a separate note, am wondering if anyone knows of any good, cheap wreckers, that have late model fords, including utes, in Perth. Having a fair amount of trouble sourcing quality parts. And also, where could i get an XH snorkel, to switch with the standard one. I've heard people on here alking about witching them, with good results, and only costing around $30, but unsure where to go.

Thanks
chook564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2005, 03:54   #2 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Re: aftermarket tacho

Installation Instructions for most Autometer Tachos...

http://www.rocketindustries.com.au/t...e788475f2f09a0
Old 05-09-2005, 04:41   #3 (permalink)
Chook

thanks for that dodgie, but ws wondering if the wiring is already there for the tacho behind the dash, or do i have to run completely new wires everywhere, seems to me there should already be some, but unsure where to look.
XG Falcon Longreach Ute, trusty 4.0L and 5sp man - Tiny 13" steering wheel , Genie headers, aftermarket cat, 2 1/2" sports exhaust, lowered pedders front, ally side skirts, roo bar, Clarion deck, with Kenwood 6x9's from amp. 12 slotters running 235's all round. Strong engine and box, just wish everything else would stop breaking/seizing/falling off.... bloody plastic!
Old 05-10-2005, 00:08   #4 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

I think there is a wire behind the dash, possibly going to the diag port....will have to investigate further.
I just picked up one off ebay myself, and will have to go through all this too.
http://www.autogauge.com.tw/web/prod...archresult.asp
It says on the package its for 4, 6 3 cylinders.
I have an 8cyl so I hope it still works...
Old 05-10-2005, 02:47   #5 (permalink)
Chook

it should say 4 6 and 8 not 3, that's weird.... looks like mine is on that list too, it's the clear 3 3/4" one with the shift light built in. already had to modify it to get it to mount upside down, offa the bit between the windscreen, and the right window. had to cut half the cylinder selector switch, so i could turn the case around and still have it close properly. fits fine now.
XG Falcon Longreach Ute, trusty 4.0L and 5sp man - Tiny 13" steering wheel , Genie headers, aftermarket cat, 2 1/2" sports exhaust, lowered pedders front, ally side skirts, roo bar, Clarion deck, with Kenwood 6x9's from amp. 12 slotters running 235's all round. Strong engine and box, just wish everything else would stop breaking/seizing/falling off.... bloody plastic!
Old 05-10-2005, 03:03   #6 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

This is the tach I got today and the thing will not suit a 8 cyl so I'm going to have to sell it.

Old 05-10-2005, 08:38   #7 (permalink)
Chook

bugger, my sympathies man, ebay can be like that though, bet you had to wait 2 weeks for it too.

can you not send it back for a replacement one?
Old 05-10-2005, 16:47   #8 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgie
This is the tach I got today and the thing will not suit a 8 cyl so I'm going to have to sell it.

Most people think they are made by Auto meter.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 17:01   #9 (permalink)
Registered Snooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chook564
bugger, my sympathies man, ebay can be like that though, bet you had to wait 2 weeks for it too.

can you not send it back for a replacement one?
Nah, it was a private seller, so now I just want to sell it and move on .
Old 05-10-2005, 19:45   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

why doesn't it suit 8cyl? As thats the most common setting on a tacho. Surely there would be a 4/6/8 cyl switch or a wire you have to cut to get 8cyl.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech