Air Filter..?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2003, 00:48   #1 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

Question Air Filter..??

I have an 88 MPFI 3-spd auto.
Has no mods as yet. Dont want to spend a whole heap on it, it can only be worth about $3g max!?! Will probably sell it next year and go for an EL.
First thing I want to do is get a new air filter setup.
I dont know a whole heap about performance filters.
I know that I dont want a pod filter. What is a panel filter exactly? Will this give any kind of decent sound? I ralise i wont get much of a performance gain without other mods like exhaust etc...
I have seen a few pics of panel filter with the lid cut off, wont this make it worse sucking in so much hot air?
How much would I expect to pay for a reasonable new exhaust system, not loud, just to give a nice humm and a bit extra go?

Anyone got any pics of a K&N panel filter in an EA? I intent to either mod my own snorkel or buy the XH one.
from doing a search here, looks like prices about $120 for the panel filter?

Any info on either would be very helpful!

Thanks!
the_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2003, 01:18   #2 (permalink)
FORD its a way of Life

A Panel Filter is the same style of filter thats already in your car...

Not sure about the sound coz I put a pod filter in my EA n that gives better sound when reving over 3000...

So if your going to stick with the panel filter do like what you said get a K & N panel filter n a XH snorkel.

Don't cut the lid there is real need with a panel filter.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:37   #3 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

Ok thanks

So what makes the K&N panel filter better than the standard one? Is it worth it?
Only reason I dont want a pod filter is the hassle of creating some sort of barrier from the heat of the engine.
Anyone got any kind of forced air induction set up in an EA?
I hve had a good look around in the engine bay and there doesnt appear to be any real way of doing it, too much stuff in the way.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:49   #4 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

2 Reasons why a KN filter is better than most.

1 - It allows 80% more air flow thru than a standard paper element and can still function with 1/8 inch of dust on it.

2 - It has one of the biggest warrenties with it as well, 10 year/1.6million km which ever comes first if it is looked after according to the cleaning procedures it comes with.

The initial cost of these is probably the biggest issue being around $100-$130 depening where you get it from. To sum up..it pays for itself over the period of time you have the car and do regular maintenance. Stick with the replacement panel filter if you dont want hot air entering the intake.

I dont think XH snorkels fit the EAs tho...correct me if im wrong.

ViGiLaNtE
Old 03-07-2003, 02:02   #5 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

Ok, I see now why it is worth it!
The XH snorkel does fit the EA, several people on this forum have done this mod, it seems to be quite a bit bigger snorkel.
So all I ask for at Repco or wherever I get best price is a K&N panel filter for 88 mpfi falcon?
What about exhaust prices, anyone got any rough prices?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2003, 21:44   #6 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

I can get you a set of extractors Mild Steel that include that cat converter for about $299. I have the XH snorkel on my EB and yes its bigger but I didnt think the mounting into the airbox was the same. Anyway, if it does fit ..go for it.

I work at AutoBarn so if your nearby the Villawood store..drop in

ViGiLaNtE
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech