air filter box exploded - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2003, 21:02   #1 (permalink)

air filter box exploded

I have a ed falcon and when the missus went to start the thing the air filter box exploded it popped the airbox lid and cracked the side the car hassn't done it since knock on wood the car runs on gas we bought it second hand I noticed when we bought it that the lugs on the plastic intake scope to the air filter box were broken I put it down to someone being careless putting it back in for whatever reason I now realise after looking at the brocken air box after she tried to start it that it must have happened before as when I looked under the filter the previos owner had silconed up the previous cracks from a former explosion /backfire I think any Ideas on how to prevent this from happening again? also how many Klms should I get on a full tank of gas?
as I dont have a gadge I thought it was starting to lose power at about 200k's not very good can a gadge be fitted easily?or the original one in the dash hooked up?
kuulbots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2003, 21:13   #2 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Stick on a new set of leads and plugs,
Very common on taxis, especially on gas,
On them, you need to wire all the airbox clips together, otherwise when they backfire, the box seperates and you lose them all.

Also if it has done that (backfired) it may pay to check all vacuum hoses especially the MAP sensor one, as they can blow off too.

9psi EB
Old 07-11-2003, 23:03   #3 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

yeah its happened to me twice...the first time i put the leads on wrong (der) but the second was a backfire, I was on gas aswell. It cracked the bottom half of the airbox so im on teh hunt for on of them.

Just go through and check all conections

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 23:14   #4 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Re: air filter box exploded

If its backfiring back to the airbox you have a problem....The shut off solenoid is allowing gas to pass when the cars not in use, thus filling the entire manifold with lpg.Id personally get it looked at.. atleast for a peace of mind..

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 01:10   #5 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Most EA / EB / ED have the gas mixer on the outlet of the airbox, where the duct to the throttle body goes.

Therefore, when you try start the car, the gas / air mixture is basically from the air box outlet, all the way to the throttlebody.

If you have bad leads, most of the time the spark will jump from one to another where they run parallel with each other over the rocker cover, causing the engine to backfire through the intake, then igniting the gas / air mixture all the way through the inlet tube, and the airbox takes the blast.

It is a very common problem, and most of the time its due to dodgey leads. Rarely due to incorrect timing or coil / tfi problems.

If it were a leaky gas soleniod, you would be sure to smell it after a couple of hours when the car is sitting (overnight?)

On another note, most E-series falcs on gas do not have the induction snorkle on them, this is for two reasons - one is to prevent engine stall when slowing down coming to a set of lights etc, and also to stop the airbox self destructing in the case of a backfire.

9psi EB

Last edited by 9psi EB; 07-12-2003 at 01:12.
9psi EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 01:36   #6 (permalink)

reply question

what do they have instead of the snokel/air scoop?
Any Ideas on how far I should get on a full tank of lpg [60Ltr's]as I'm not sure if I have a leak or not, I get about 200 K's
kuulbots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 01:48   #7 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9psi EB
Most EA / EB / ED have the gas mixer on the outlet of the airbox, where the duct to the throttle body goes.

Therefore, when you try start the car, the gas / air mixture is basically from the air box outlet, all the way to the throttlebody.

If you have bad leads, most of the time the spark will jump from one to another where they run parallel with each other over the rocker cover, causing the engine to backfire through the intake, then igniting the gas / air mixture all the way through the inlet tube, and the airbox takes the blast.

It is a very common problem, and most of the time its due to dodgey leads. Rarely due to incorrect timing or coil / tfi problems.

If it were a leaky gas soleniod, you would be sure to smell it after a couple of hours when the car is sitting (overnight?)

On another note, most E-series falcs on gas do not have the induction snorkle on them, this is for two reasons - one is to prevent engine stall when slowing down coming to a set of lights etc, and also to stop the airbox self destructing in the case of a backfire.

9psi EB
I stand corrected

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 05:26   #8 (permalink)
Hanging Around

svo347 - you may be onto something there

if hes only getting 200kms on a tank, it may possibly be a leak

I think 350 - 400kms on a tank is reasonable.

kuulbots - id try the plugs and leads first, Check the base timing and see how the economy goes, if it doesnt change, get it looked at by a gas place.

9psi EB
Old 07-12-2003, 05:30   #9 (permalink)

what the hell, no induction snorkel?
how does that work.
my car almost stalls coming to a set of lights when on lpg.
never actually stalls, but it goes very low in the rev range..
its backfired many times but its never actually split/broke anything, and it was backfiring because of the leads.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 05:49   #10 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

When Ford installed the gas system on my Falcon they put a hole of about 8cm diameter in the snorkel on the engine side, just before it enters the airbox.

I've since replaced that one with a T series one and didn't put a hole in it.

I get about 325 to a tank of LPG and have lost some economy on what I used to get, it doesn't seem to be related to the snorkel though.

I rang Ford when I pulled the old snorkel off and found the hole and have had different opinions on the hole, some at Ford say don't bother, also I was told that you can get a valve that does the same thing, the hole is just a cheap alternative.

If true, to the cheapo dealer

I'm wondering if I should change back to the old snorkel or put a hole in the tickford one. I didn't have any issues when I swapped but after an accident and a mechanic with no idea about gas looking at the car it may dip down below idle when slowing down every now and then etc.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech