air filters - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 15:59   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

air filters

how much difference to k n filters make and are they worth the 100 or so bucks ? also are they messy to oil ? you do have to oil them dont you ?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2003, 16:09   #2 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Mate, they let 80% more airflow thru than your standard paper filter element, they are worth the money as they basically pay for them selves over the period of time you have your car and do regular services. The warrenty on them beats just about anything hands down 1.6million k's/10 year whatever comes first. And yes you do have to oil them each basic service 10,000km or so. The colour of the KN filter is a reddish colour which is the oil. After some time the filter will turn white which means the filter needs cleaning and reoiling. The cleaning kits are about $30 and will prolly do about 3 services.

ViGiLaNtE
Old 02-25-2003, 16:13   #3 (permalink)

I have just a standard 3.9LMPFI EA and want to rebuild it and make it a bit more economical/powerfull. What would be the best thing to do with air intake/filter. What type of filter would be best? I was thinkin of just a K&N panel filter, but is this the best thing i could do?
Old 02-25-2003, 16:35   #4 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

To stay within the "guidlines" of inspections, just replace the panel filter with a KN and adapt an XG intake pipe that has been in numerous posts. This is the starting point of all intake enhancements.

ViGiLaNtE
Old 02-25-2003, 16:46   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, I thought of doing this, but was just wondering if there was anything else different that could done with the intake, but i think i will just stick to what u have suggested....
Old 02-26-2003, 03:44   #6 (permalink)

I only clean my K&N filter about every 60,000ks and it still looks good when I take it out.It has now done about 300,000ks and still looks brand new when it is clean.It certainly pays for itself
Old 02-26-2003, 04:24   #7 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

I have recently installed a Rush 02(RRP $100) panel filter into my EA and noticed no performance increase.

I have the EF Air box(to go with the BBM) with an additional 3.5" pipe into guard, and the pipe to the TB is also 3.5". These changes helped the car more then a High flow filter did.

I like the filter because they pay for them selves in the long run, but the performance side of things.. well, I would not expect much, if anything.

Ciao
Old 02-26-2003, 15:42   #8 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Quote:
Originally posted by ViGiLaNtE
After some time the filter will turn white which means the filter needs cleaning and reoiling. The cleaning kits are about $30 and will prolly do about 3 services.

ViGiLaNtE
mines gone black what does that mean?
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 17:12   #9 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Dirty mind you Ive had mine for about 5 yrs now & once cleaned it still looks stained. Time to buy a new one maybe?

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 18:33   #10 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Quote:
Originally posted by svo302
Dirty mind you Ive had mine for about 5 yrs now & once cleaned it still looks stained. Time to buy a new one maybe?
Time to buy a new one - it cant be - The filter isnt even 3k old!
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech