Ford Forums banner

Air intake question?

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  TIKFD6 
#1 ·
Is it legal to cut a 3inch hole in the front wheel arch for a air intake pipe to a filter?? has anyone checked if this would be right with the RTA???

#2 ·
so long as its not a structural member i think its ok - where do you mean? at the bottom underneath the airbox? im pretty sure its ok to cut a hole there, and i know a few who have done it, i did it on my old EB...you should be OK

#4 ·
Yeah i mean under the airbox .. i dont have a airbox i have a UniFilter Ram pod with a air intake pipe which runs down next to the throttle body to underneath the car and points forwards. i'm not too concerned about the water problem only the authorities hassleing me about it.

#5 ·
ohh yeah and i dont mean putting the filter under the car i mean leaving the filter where the box is and just having an intake pipe from the front of the front bar up through to the hole under the filter

#6 ·
EB if you were going to do that you would be better off fitting an Airbox around your filter so it cant suck any engine bay air, then do as you have said, cut a hole and run a tube from there to a cold air point behind the front bar. Cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox and seal it up against the new hole in the wheel arch so the pod is sucking ONLY cold air from the tube at the front bar.
You would of course have to block off the snorkel hole on the airbox.

#7 ·
EB2GHIA do you have a pic of your current setup? Would make it easier to help out.
But basically if you have a pod filter sitting where your Airbox used to be than an EF airbox would be perfect....all you would have to do is seal up the Snorkel hole at the bottom left, and cut a new one directly underneath your pod filter, cut a hole in the wheel arch and run a tube to behind the front bar or something.....

There is actually already a hole behind your indicator lens that you could feed a tube through if you were worried about cutting a hole...Im sure you could cut a hole in the airbox at the right location facing this hole

#8 ·
my filter is a rampod its way too big to fit in the airbox. Its not just a k&n type its a metal ram tube with a foam top over mesh.

http://www.uniflow.com.au/default.asp

I'm making up a head shield for it soon. Who would i contact to find out if cutting a hole near the wheel srch is a problem
??

thanks for everyones help

#9 ·
I MAKE COLD AIR SET-UPS FOR THE EA-ED CARS I CURRENTLY RUN ON ON MY EA BUT I DONT HAVE PICS YET ( WILL SHORTLY)
COST IS $125.00 WHICH INCLUDES AN ALUMINUM SHEILD AND A FRONT MOUNTED RAM PIPE. AS FOR CUTTING A HOLE ON UR CAR(UNDER THE AIRBOX) IT IS ILLEGAL TO DO SO (IN QUEENSLAND)UNLESS YOU REINFORCE THE AREA BEING CUT WHICH IS WHAT MY SET UP DOES (I'LL HAVE PICS VERY SOON BUT IN THE MEANTIME HAVE A LOOK AT ONE OF MY EARLY PROTOTYPES http://fastfords.org/c-airintake.JPG).THE LATEST DESIGN NO LONGER USE THE FACTORY UPPER HALF OF THE AIR BOX (BUT CAN BE ADDED IN IF NEEDED)
CHEERS

#10 ·
keep me posted on when you put the pics up

thanx gm

#12 ·
I wouldn't being getting air from the wheel arch. Due to nature of airflow around a car whilst it is in motion, the wheels arches are a low pressure area. This essentially means it will suck air (as the air flows from higher pressure to lower pressure) from the hole you drill. You will still be sucking cooler air, but it should be noted that the nature of airflow around a car will scavenge (so to speak) air that your intake essentially is trying to make available for your engine.

I think a while ago autospeed did an article on cold air setups, and using pressure switches to test apparant pressures they determined optimal locations. The wheel arch was not one of those locations.

Also, i would be worries about sucking up too much water if the pipe ran there......

#13 ·
gm dstroya said:
USUALLY COPS DONT EVEN BOTHER WITH THAT CUT IN THE FOOR ANYWAY, ESPECIALLY IF ITS COVER UP WITH A BOX, AND THE RAM-PIPE IS PAINTED BLACK THEY WONT BE ABLE TO SEE IT AT NIGHT
Please don't type with the caps lock on.

Attachments

#16 ·
yeah i saw that auto speed article too, i think the best spot would be in front of the radiator, if you could get a pipe there some how

#17 ·
yeah sphell got hammered hey. but my brother does rego inspections here in Canberra and he said he would pass a pod filter. and i would be running a pipe to the opening in the front bar so i would not be getting the air from the wheel arch....

#19 ·
nah he could never do a rego inspection for me because he is family.. he ment if there was a pod filter that was securly fitted he would pass it and have no hassles about it. Another interesting fact was that they dont do emissions tests from the exhaust ... only the db reading. and no it isnt at a dodge place ints at a NRMA approved centre

#20 ·
Hey dude,
i cut a hole in my guard, i run a Finer Filter pod, i've also got a box i built.

My car has ABS, theplastic cover around the module has a void at the back, i cut the floor of this void out.
My 3" intake pipe has an elbow the the pine, up through the ABS cover then through the hole.

At the top it is secured with Zip ties.

Heres some pics from before the bnig cut.

I will try to get some more pics ASAP.
:shrug:
http://www.fordforums.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&thumb=1&stype=2&si=tikfd6

The pipe in the side is no longer there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.