Aircon Compressor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2002, 10:14   #1 (permalink)
Well Paid, Trained Monkey

Aircon Compressor

I took my EA SPak out to the auto electrician a while ago to look at the possibility of regassing the aircon system. The technician pointed out that there was currently no belt attached to the compressor, and that probably meant the previous owner had removed it after the compressor seized.

I've been quoted a cost of $200 for a reconditioned compressor, but I want to find out if the current one is actually dead or not. I've obtained a new belt (though I haven't installed it yet), and the pulley on the compressor turns easily by hand, I need to know - if I put the belt on, what am I looking for to know if the compressor is working or not (there is currently no gas in the system either).

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2002, 12:01   #2 (permalink)
juppy

Aircon Compressor

The A/C compressor will spin free until you turn on the A/C as it is on a clutch. It willl more than likely squeek and make terrible noises if it is seized. Other than that I am not sure, but $200 sounds like a fair price for a recon one.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:42   #3 (permalink)

Well, I started the car up and turned the aircon on, the pulley on the compressor still turned quite freely (if I gave it a good push it would spin for several seconds unassisted). Does this tell me anything?

James
Old 05-01-2002, 16:43   #4 (permalink)
wishkie

when i first got my car it didnt have an air con belt. i put it down to just having had its balls thrashed off and the belt was removed to give the engine more power.

i now think my compressor is seized because when i spin it by hand it makes a nasty scrachy spinning noise and its got some resistance of some sort.
Old 05-01-2002, 16:51   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

When my air con was making awful noises, it was due to a so-called "TX Valve". It cost $60 including labour to replace, and was well worth it.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 17:21   #6 (permalink)
Ford Anti B&S Squad

TX Valves

Your TX valve is what distributes refrigerant through you aircon system and so is important. Tx Valves are designed speciaficily for refrigerant so when converting gas must be changed.
EA90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 18:12   #7 (permalink)

Re: TX Valves

I had the technician look at my system in order to do a quote on regassing the system... apparently it hasn't been used for a long time and some of the parts are dead - I need to get my TX Valve and Condensor replaced. I don't want to go ahead and do this though unless the Compressor works, which they couldn't test. I've got a belt for the compressor... I'm just dreading having to take the other belts off first to get it on, since the bolts on my idler pulleys are so badly rusted that I need to pull my radiator out to turn them.

I'm just looking for some way to find out for sure that my compressor is okay, because then I'll just tell them to do the belt at the same time they do the rest of the system.

James
Old 05-01-2002, 19:19   #8 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

want a compressor for $50?
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 19:22   #9 (permalink)

Heh... do we know that it works? I'm going to be down in Melbourne on May 24th-27th, and I'm going to hook up with Jack about the club stuff, maybe I should try hooking up with you too to see what I can use of your leftovers :)

James
Old 05-02-2002, 03:12   #10 (permalink)
juppy

A\C compressor

May have to just take the punt... The last time I got my aircon fixed it cost $460 for new hoses, TX valve, gas and O rings - that lasted 4 days and the evapoator under the dashboard failed, this was going to be a further $400 - 500. I didn't bother, but now I would like to reinstall it and am looking at $1200+ for compressor etc. etc.

It's not cheap to be cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech