Aircon surging on EL - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2004, 02:08   #1 (permalink)
Vic
Underachiever in training

confused Aircon surging on EL

Have any EL owners here had problems with the aircon surging on-off-on-off whilst the engine is running?
If I turn on the auto function on my climate control, the aircon starts to cool but after a short while it sounds like the compressor is turning on and off. It does this even while accelerating up to the speed limit, just cutting in and out and causes the engine to surge.
I thought it might be lack of gas but the air out of the vents is cool.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2004, 22:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: Aircon surging on EL

I think you will find it is what is called the TX valve. This is a little gizmo that doesn't let the system freeze up by letting the compressor not work for a while. It is easy to replace, but it does mean loosing all the gas out of you system and having to regas it. That in itself is not too expensive, abot $80 at TPA in Dandenong, whom I highly recommend by the way. (and I don't work there)
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 00:52   #3 (permalink)
Vic

TX valve?
You've had this fault before? Was it the same fault condition?
Old 03-04-2004, 17:55   #4 (permalink)

The fault that I had was the TX valve had a bit of dirt in it, and it was not letting the valve work properly. The A/C would work, then switch off, then work, then switch off etc, all within a few moments. It would stay cool but not real cold. The TX valve is easy to replace, as I said, and surprisingly inexpensive. Without the labour component of course. Other considerations could be your dryer. These actually need to be replaced every few years, otherwise they clog up with crap, and don't work. These doohickies "dry" the aircon fluid, as the name suggests. Again, surprisingly inexpensive and easy to replace, but again the system will need regassing.

There is one fault with the original A/C pump on the EF/ELs. It tends to destroy itself. In order for this not to happen, one needs to run the A/C for at least 20 mins or so once a week. This keeps the bearings lubricated and the seals lubricated too. The A/C is a very effective demister, as it drys out the air in the cabin.
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 23:39   #5 (permalink)
Vic

Sweet. I am going to look into this and hopefully I will be able to use the aircon for the remaining hot weather in March instead of putting the windows down.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:42   #6 (permalink)

I had this problem but not in a Falcon. Same thing though, A/C was cutting in and out rapidly to the stage where if the car was idling, the A/C wouldnt cool. Once you got moving again, it would then cut in and out and blow cold air. Problem was it was over gassed and tripping the high pressure cut out switch. Would really play up on those extremely hot days. Cure, next time it does it, release a little gas from the sysytem. It will be R134A gas and wont harm the ozone layer.
blu_sr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 03:56   #7 (permalink)
Vic

Well I have had Mr Aircon Guru look at my aircon problem and he went and pressure tested it and said that it has a blockage causing it to overpressurize which then forces it to turn off. He said that its the TX valve and also suggested for the sake of $50 to replace the little bottle just behind the front bumper as well.
Hopefully I will be able to use the auto feature on the climate control for the first time since I bought the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech