Ford Forums banner

Amusing thing happened today

942 views 1 reply 0 participants last post by  timkershaw 
G
#1 ·
Drove to a mate's place today, took the keys out of the ignition and I heard a strange noise coming from the engine bay. I looked down underneath the car, and fuel was pouring (and I mean, a steady stream) from the front of the car. I quickly opened up the bonnet, and the noise and fuel leakage continued.

So I ran around like a madman looking for a spanner to diconnect the battery, because it was obvious that the fuel pump had "forgotten" to stop pumping fuel through. Finally disconnected the battery, stopping the fuel pumping.

I opened up the air cleaner (it's a CPI), and the throttle body and entire pan was swimming in fuel, about 3cm deep on one side, and it was running down out of the air intake.

So anyway, I checked it out and it turns out that the smash repairers who fixed my car after I had crashed it hadn't put the earth lead back onto the engine properly, and it was making and breaking contact periodically. It must've confused the hell out of the computer and maybe it forgot to ask the ful pump to stop pumping? I don't know.

G
#2 ·
Funny

funny dude... dont ya hate those people who dont put it back right..

I once had a faulty fuel pump Relay and it was making it stay on as well... i coudl hear the pump going even after keys turned off.. stupid things hey LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.