Ford Forums banner

another cfi to mpfi thread

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  carazy 
#1 ·
Hey peeps I've read up nearly every damn thread I could find on MPFI convertions and I just want to clarify a few things.
Ok I have a Series 1 EB Falcon 5sp.
Now from what i understand the parts I need are as follows

Airbox and piping to manifold.
inlet manifold.
fuel rail and injectiors
fuel pump
EA series 2 or EB series 1 ECU
MPFI Distributor.
throttle cable.
hoses for PCV system
air con bracket
accelerator cable

Now I can't understand what happens with the air con cause I looked at a fairmont at the wreakers with mpfi and it looked to be in the same place. Am I missing something?
Also I've been told by a wreaker that I need to change the full wiring loom but according to a few people here all I need is to modify pin 21's wire to the Idle control thingy and change the loom in the engine bay. Is that correct?
I'll be doing this all next weekend as I'm getting annoyed with lack of touque up hills.
Please tell me if i'm missing something. I know has been covered quite a bit and I must give praise to NZinAUS and Hampsteads post cause they have been the most helpfull so far.
The main reason I'm starting another thread is so I can find out quickly. I'm just a little worried because I've heard of the pricy disasters some other people have had.
Cheers all.

By the way I stuck this in the audio interior section cause I am a WANK and wasn't paying attention and now I can't delete it sorry!

See less See more
#2 ·
The Air Con compressor is mounted a bit lower on the ea's to clear inlet manifold if you use an EA manifold then you will have to get the bracket to relocate the Compressor. you will also need to change your map sensor.

#3 ·
The MAP sensor is the same on both models.

#4 ·
sounds like you have it down to a T carazy, Yeah the A/C bracket mounts the compressor a little lower ( you may have to change aircon belts too as they have different part #'s but Im not 100% sure )
The wiring loom is the same, just unplug your CFi loom from the round connector near the aircon TX valve ( not near the master cylinder ) and the new loom will plug in, join the two wires as per NZinAUS' thread and the rest is a matter of swapping it over.
I think a 3spd ECU is preferred if your running a T5 (?)

#5 ·
will I have to get my air con regases or can I move it with out wreaking it?
Not chaning my bloody map sensor I only just payed $160 for a spanking new one!
Cheers for the post Sixer have you actuly changed yours over yet?

Oh yeah and the thermostat housing thats differant to isn't it?

#6 ·
nah the compressor only has to be moved a few cm's, just need to undo the mounting bolts, fit the bracket between block and compessor and bolt up. nah havent done mine just yet. Yeah apparently there is a splitter or something that is an extension to the theromstat housing, however I will be cheating, I am just going to cut the existing metal heater hose down, fit a rubber hose which will run underneath the MPFI manifold and connect to the metal pipe which originally entered the back of the CFi manifold. Have a look at your pipes and you will see what I mean. the CFi setup had the pipe entering the back of the manifold and exiting the front, then going to the thermostat housing, basically the rubber pipe will be used to fill the gap where the CFi manifold used to be. the reason for cutting it is that the metal pipe does not bend enough to go under the MPFI manifold. hope that makes sense

#7 ·
yeah I've seen the CFI heater hoses it goes in to the water jacket to heat the petrol for better atomisation (stupid wanna be carbi setup)
The mind boggles as to why Ford even bothers with this stupid setup. They had MpFI on the XE's for gods sake! I would have had all falcons use the MPFI and have kept the V8's!
Damn fools I tell ya.
Oh well that's a little off topic.
Thanks for that sixer. I feeling confident for a good old convertion now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.