Another rebuild post - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2002, 14:59   #1 (permalink)
EAofWAR

Another rebuild post

Hey guys, ive got a question

How hard is it to rebuild a 3.9MPI, i was planning to get a cam, when i get the car, and i really wouldnt mind just doing both, i will have the money to do it myself. But ive never done a rebuild before, i know generally most of the theory and my old man knows alot, im also very 'mechanically able'.

Also how long is it going to take, if i work my ballsack off every weekend, and after Uni. Lets say, 2hrs a day after Uni, and 12 hours over the weekend. I would like to have the motor running ASAP.

Sorry plus a Manual conversion, how long ontop of that time?

+ How long should a good rebuild take, i dont wanna rush it a F@ck anything.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2002, 15:34   #2 (permalink)

well its not too hard if you are good at remembering where all the parts go and so on, getting the engine out and into many bits is the easy part. i take it you know about honing and so on, buy a full rebuild kit, you will need to get the crankshaft ground to suit some new bearing usually.
pulling it apart takes a few hours, putting it back together takes a bit longer.
the manual conversion takes around a whole weekend usually (not working at night) and probabley longer as you come across little parts you forgot to buy, always happens :)
are you doing it ALL yourself or will you send it off to be honed and so on by someone else ? if you do it yourself the tools will probabley cost more than having someone else do it.
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 16:15   #3 (permalink)
mickt

rebuild

It's a bit hard to say how hard a rebuild is. If you are mech. minded you won't have a problem.Make sure you have all the right tools handy, it is a bitch when you are half way thru something and don't have the right tool.
How long? Depends on if you have the right equipment and things go to plan. Slowly to get it right.
Good luck in your endeavours. You will learn alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech