Antifreeze--I BELIEVE VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 12:45   #1 (permalink)

Antifreeze--I BELIEVE VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!!

First-- I will cut to the quick! I recommend using 100% G12 antifreeze and there is an attached URL showing why latter in my post!

I have owned a couple of Taurus' with the Vulcan engine. I have one in my driveway as I type that is going "west!" and I believe antifreeze had a lot to do with it including plugging my heater core. The car is a 1999. A couple of years ago I had the famous timing chain gasket fail due to galvanic corrosion. Simple fix it is NOT! The shop where I take stuff which is beyond my desire to repair wanted $1000 to fix..... in fact, they did not even want to do the job!

Think about it!!! Everything on the passenger's side has to be stripped. That includes the alternator, AC pump, water pump, engine pulley and finally the timing chain cover just to get at the gasket. But now the REAL FUN begins!

In order to reinstall the timing chain cover along with the gasket, YOU MUST DROP THE OIL PAN!!! OK, you really don't have to IF YOU GET LUCKY the pan gasket might just survive the reinstallation process AND YOUI HAVE TO BE REALLY LUCKY. And if you screw up there are no options, you must drop the pan or have oil all over the ground where the car travels.

I know of no way to install galvanic corrosion anodes!!!! But you REALLY DO NOT NEED ANY (IMHO....and I am an electrical engineer) if the cooling fluid has a very high DC resistance. A few years ago a guy who uses the handle of "ghost6303" posted an experiment testing the popular antifreezes for galvanic corrosion. Please also note I am looking for another taurus, 2002 version and I intend to follow Ghost's recommendations. Anyway, Ghost tested G12, Dexcool and Peak antifreezes. I am going to leave it to the readers to visit the attached URL to understand just what he did and to see his results. And please Mr. Moderator, I have zero interest in any of the products tested. My interest is to avoid another timing chain gasket failure!!!

Antifreeze Experiment & Testing

Might even be worth making this a sticky! To those of you who took the time to read this far---- I believe you have a chance for extended engine life with knowledge!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 04:55   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Antifreeze--I BELIEVE VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Good article foggy. I moved it to the General Tech section and will stick it.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 18:15   #3 (permalink)

Re: Antifreeze--I BELIEVE VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Good article foggy. I moved it to the General Tech section and will stick it.

Thanks JWKO!!! I just didn't know where to put it and thought it too important to forget about it!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech