any tips 4 Gettin rid of rust on mags?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2004, 09:01   #1 (permalink)
«$k8 ø® Ðïè»

any tips 4 Gettin rid of rust on mags??

got some 12 slotters (deap dish) that have gathered abit of rust over the past few years anyone....need a cheap way of gettin rid of the rust. ive been usin an air tool (like a dremel) to sand the rust away then buff it up but findin it hard to get into the small gaps....anyone had to do this??

thanx dan
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 09:22   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: any tips 4 Gettin rid of rust on mags??

If rust is very severe on your wheels, you would need to have the wheel sand blasted down or wire brushed down and then rechromed.

There are a couple of products on the market you can use. The first step is to use a spray cleaner to remove all the dirt and debris from your wheel.

The second step is to use a good rubbing compound. A rubbing compound is abrasive, but not too abrasive. Dab some compound on a cloth and wipe it on the rusted area. It is tough and gritty enough to go through the rust, but not so tough that it will go through the chrome. It takes some "elbow grease" to remove the rust. Mothers has a few items out. You may want to look at Bowdens Own and see if they too may have some.

Follow up with an aluminum polish after you have wiped all the rubbing compound off. A coat of the polish will protect the seal.

Last edited by LunaticSVT; 06-07-2004 at 09:59.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:46   #3 (permalink)
Blue Oval Disciple

G'Day LunaticSVT,

Some great tips there, thanks mate
OzFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:35   #4 (permalink)

I've had my 12 slots on my coupe for about 18 years and they still look pretty good. If you are wanting a cheap rubbing compound to get the rust off use Jiff cream cleanser and a wet rag. A soapy steel wool pad also works but don't rub too hard or you will scratch the chrome. Once you have cleaned the rust off give the wheels a good wash using car wash detergent and really get the hose into them. I use Nu Finish to polish the wheels and then give them a squirt of armorall and buff it up with a good polishing cloth. Old nappies, towels and flannel sheets work the best. Try it, it works and it's cheap.
Paul351xb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 23:22   #5 (permalink)
slikxb

I was watching MythBusters on SBS a couple of weeks back, and they used coke and then scrubed it with aluminium foil. Apparently coca-cola is real good for eating away rust and oxidisation. Not sure what the scrunched up alum foil dus. But anyway they reckoned it did a better job than most chrome cleaners. They also used it as a de-greaser with no success, but it did clean up any part that was rusty, battery terminals, ect. Good for cleaning coins too. Let it soak 2-3 mins and then scrub and wash off.
Never tried it myself but certainly is cheap.
ps Buy 2 litre bottle , that way if it don't work you can mix it with bundy and get pissed while thinking about your next plan of attack
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 16:27   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yep above solutions are good...What I have used is 10% hydrochloric acid [used in swimming pools] Use solution to clean with one of those plastic foam kitchen scourers.I find steel wool can be alittle tough and scratch..Wash with water when finished or wash with Bi carb to nutralize acid ...Again from swimming pool P.H additives... Then polish with Mothers alloy cleaner...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech